Dark Farm Mini Keg and C02 dispenser - 15% Discount

Discussion in 'Sponsors' started by Gareth Davies, May 11, 2018.

Help Support The Homebrew Forum UK by donating using the link above.
  1. Aug 5, 2018 #41

Dutto

Dutto

Dutto

Dutto Supporting Member

Henders,

Welcome to The Forum!:thumb::thumb:

Now introduce yourself so that I can welcome you properly! :laugh8:

Henders likes this.
  2. Aug 5, 2018 #42

Henders

Henders

Henders

Thanks Dutto! Duly done :).

Dutto likes this.
  3. Aug 5, 2018 #43

foxbat

foxbat

foxbat

If your dip tubes are silicone then they must be 'platinum cured'. That's the only type that can be used for prolonged contact with food without tainting the flavour.

4. Aug 5, 2018 #44

Dutto

Dutto

Dutto

Dutto Supporting Member

I used the silicone dip tube provided with the Growlers and didn't taste anything peculiar.

However, keeping the length of the dip-tube long enough to get every last drop of beer out of the Growler resulted in the end sticking to the bottom and/or side of the Growler, so the delivery rate via the Tap varied wildly from one pint to the next.

For the second attempt, I kept the dip tube the same length as before but stuck the "U" attachment from a Wilco syphon on the end of the dip tube. (Please check out the end of the tube seen in the top left hand side of the photograph.)

https://www.wilko.com/en-uk/wilko-syphon-pack/p/0022573

I modified the attachment by cutting a "V" into opposite sides of "U" so that the dip tube would still drain almost every drop from the Growler. :thumb:

PS

The King Keg Top Tap PB is fitted with a silicone tube that doesn't affect the taste of a brew, so if you have a spare .... !athumb..

5. Aug 6, 2018 #45

Martybhoy1980

Martybhoy1980

Martybhoy1980

First foray into kegging, and I love it. A week at 12psi wasn't really enough for me, so I upped it to 15psi for 2 days and it seems to have done the job. Nice and soft carbonation, I hate sharp bubbles.

Other lesson learnt is that when relieving the pressure, turn off the gas. Otherwise it'll stay at the original pressure level, as more gas is let in from the cartridge. This lesson cost me one cartridge lol. Idiot.

So glad I took the plunge. So thanks to Treebeard, Foxbat and Dutto for their advice on this thread, and to Gareth for the quality goods and after sales advice, it's very much appreciated.

Below is a picture of my American Wheat Ale, along with a pic of the empty glass with good lacing.
    IMG_20180806_203523663_LL.jpg IMG_20180806_204707674_LL.jpg

Chippy_Tea and foxbat like this.
  6. Aug 6, 2018 #46

foxbat

foxbat

foxbat

Looks like a perfect pint. I love an American Wheat in the hot weather. That's making me thirsty!

Drunkula and Martybhoy1980 like this.
  7. Aug 6, 2018 #47

foxbat

foxbat

foxbat

That's good to know, I would expect that if they were supplied with the kegs then they'll be the right ones for the job.

Dutto likes this.
  8. Aug 6, 2018 #48

Dutto

Dutto

Dutto

Dutto Supporting Member

It's nice to know that I am not alone in the world! :laugh8: :laugh8:

My own "Lesson of the Day" was that TWICE I accidentally knocked the Tap to the "On" position when moving the keg. aheadbutt

The garage now smells very strongly of Oatmeal Stout and I have fitted an elastic band around the Tap handle so that it will close automatically and also make it a bit more difficult to knock open.

On the basis that I won't grow a new brain, I will work out something a bit more permanent than an elastic band because Murphy's First Law is "If it can happen then it will happen!" and as it's already happened twice ......!

Doh! :hat:

Martybhoy1980 and foxbat like this.
  9. Aug 6, 2018 #49

Drunkula

Drunkula

Drunkula

Do these kegs allow you to shake the bejaysus out of them to get the co2 into them quicker? They look small enough to get in a fridge and get them cold so it's even easier.

10. Aug 6, 2018 #50

Martybhoy1980

Martybhoy1980

Martybhoy1980

I'm new to kegging so can't say for sure, but I don't see any reason why not.

I had to get the 5ltr kegs due to fridge space and while they do take up vertical space, the ground space they take up isn't much at all.

11. Aug 6, 2018 #51

Dutto

Dutto

Dutto

Dutto Supporting Member

I've just run this past SWMBO and she reckons that she wouldn't have a problem. :thumb:

Martybhoy1980 likes this.