Dark Mild Brewday

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
First time using my new mash tun, I thought I'd go for something fairly simple and have been meaning to do a dark mild for a while.

My original recipe contained some chocolate malt, but unfortunately I had none in stock. I ended up putting a bit of Brown and Munich which I had laying around. The recipe ended up thus

Batch size: 14l
Estimated Efficiency: 70%
Estimated OG: 1.036
Estimated FG: 1.010
Estimated ABV: 3.4%
Estimated IBU: 19.2

1.9 kg Maris Otter (81.2%)
90 g Dark Crystal Malt (3.8%)
90 g Light Crystal Malt (3.8%)
70 g Special B (3.2%)
70 g Brown (3.2%)
70 g Carafa Special III (3.2%)
50 g Munich (2.1%)

20 g East Kent Goldings (UK) - 60 minutes: 19.2 IBU

Safale S-04

Mash at 68ºc for 90 minutes.

I've not got the spare cash to buy a false bottom at the moment, so I used a combination of a grain bag and a frying pan splatter guard. This seems to have worked quite well.

I forgot to preheat the mash tun, meaning I was a couple of degrees lower than desired. I added a kettle full of boiling water which brought it up to the correct temp. Other than that, things went quite well, despite suffering from a monstrous hangover.

Ended up with just shy of 15l at 1.038, so efficiency a bit better than I expected.

Looks nice.

Intrigued by that white coffee recipe you have on your signature. Never heard of white coffe before, did you post a recipe at all?

Back