Dark Rock Brewing - Newcastle Brown Style

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ClownPrince

Regular.
Reaction score
So I did a quick search and didn't come across any posts about this already.

Dark Rock Tribute to Newcastle Brown Ale - Part Grain

I did this kit a few months ago. I haven't really used Speciality Grains so the Part Grain kits seemed like a good gateway.
The instructions were clear and everything in the kit was clearly labelled. Two big bags of LME, a few sachets of hops (60min, 15min and dry if i remember correctly) beer enhancer, yeast, finings, hop sock and grains.
Very simple, very straightforward brewday. Also my house ended up smelling like Roasted Malt from the steeping grains, which is always a bonus.

How did it turn out? It doesn't really taste like Newcastle Brown. It is very very nice, but not the newkie I know. It has a far richer taste, I'd say it was maybe somewhere between Newcastle Brown and a Coffee Stout.
I have a couple of theories on why it doesn't taste like Newcastle.
1 - I've seen a lot of people referring to how Newkie used to be nicer. I can't remember it tasting different, but perhaps it's more akin to old Newcastle Brown.
2 - Being a 'part grain' kit they felt obliged to include steeping grains which I don't think were needed to replicate Newcastle Brown.

In short, if you want to replicate Newcastle Brown this maybe isn't the kit for you, weirdly something cheaper may suit you better. If you want to make a very very nice brown ale I can't recommend this enough.

Has anyone else tried this kit? What did others make of it?

Last edited:
Back