Dark Rock Brewing

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I have done their Proper Job, Bosses Boss and the Boston Lager. Proper Job was my favourite and they were all very good premium level kits.

I would love to buy more from them but I also have to pay £19.50 delivery. I'm working on recipes instead, but have not produced anything to Dark Rocks' level yet.

Just brewed the Punk IPA today and it smelt fantastic, loads of hops and easy to follow instructions. Also got their Shipyard to do next so it's great to see some good feedback on here.
Normally stick to Festival and Youngs 2 pouch kits but these really look like a step up in quality
Fingers crossed they taste as good as they smell

I assume All Grain or Part Grain (don't believe they offer those as extract kits).

I also went from Festival extract kits straight to Dark Rock part grain kits. The difference is pretty dramatic (like going from a 15 year old Fiat Panda to a brand new Mercedes). That happened during lockdown and made the experience a lot better.

Yes should've said part grain, a bit more expensive than Festival but I was very impressed with the amount of ingredients and if it's any good there are plenty of others I want to try

After doing the part grain kits, wouldnt go back to the extract kits, the quality of the part grain is night and day.
They do cost more than the "normal kits" and take more time, but well worth the cost.

I have 1 more bosses boss part grain kit to do then on to full grain in the brewzilla that just arrived.Might even get a full grain citra SmaSh kit from dark rock for the first run.

Edit, It is worth ordering a few items to get free postage.

The YouTube site 'Beer kit reviews Partridge' is pretty handy as they have reviewed dozens of Dark Rock's kits, among other brands. They did a chart of the best kits at the end of last year and 'The Bosses Boss' from Dark Rock got first place and 'Proper Job' also placed high (I think 3rd).

I have brewed both and thought Proper Job was the best, but personal preferences have an influence.

Just received my Darkrock all grain kit, looks ok but I'm disappointed there is no breakdown of the different grain weights and quantities. All mixed together in one bag.
A previous kit from the Worcester hop shop had all the grains labeled and bagged separately.

They are great kits, I’ve probably done 15-20 of them (partial mash) and if you’re happy to spend the extra time on them compared to extract kits they’re well worth it. Just ordered 3 more today, the Milky Way Stout, Birra Italia & the London Pride, haven’t done any of these before.

Just received my Darkrock all grain kit, looks ok but I'm disappointed there is no breakdown of the different grain weights and quantities. All mixed together in one bag.
A previous kit from the Worcester hop shop had all the grains labeled and bagged separately.

Why would they package the grains in individual bags and give weights?
More waste and things to open, darkrock have the right idea imo 1 bag for grain, open>into muslin sock job done.

You wont be dissapointed with the final product, all their part grain kits are quality.

Done the screaming eagle (didnt last very long :roll: ) Got the proper job in secondary at the moment. Well worth the extra money compared to extract kits. The screaming eagle was fantastic. Got an east kent gold to do next. cant wait..

I kegged Birra Italia this weekend and have Shipyard (Part grain) & Hobgoblin Gold (all grain) on order.
Presentation, instruction & packaging of the kits is top notch.
Can't wait to get brewing.......

If they done that then most of their customers would order the grain from elsewhere at a cheaper cost and their custom kit sales would plummet
Brew store in Edinburgh are exactly the same and I don’t blame them, they have taken time to find a recipe that works and turn it into an attractive product
Great kits, not the cheapest but sometimes you get what you pay for

The American Stout kit is done and bubbling away in the fermenter.
Having checked the other kit I purchased from Dark Rock which is the Hazy Daze NEIPA I've noticed there is 2 hop addictions labeled D. They are both in the same silver packs though one is vacuumed packed one isn't. I have emailed them for clarification.
Has anyone done this kit, and did you get 2 packs labeled ?

Last edited:
I brewed a Nelson Sauvin SMASH from them which was very good and have brewed another one since from my own ingredients.

I also use the new shop, as they’re not too far away. Some hops I bought recently didn’t have the AA % marked but they were very helpful. A quick e-mail and got the answer the following day.

I've done the Punk a couple of times and it's fantastic, very very similar to Brewdog. I'm currently drinking their Shipyard which is excellent and am about to bottle the Birra Italia which I have high hopes of.
As already stated these are a great improvement over 'normal' kits, A bit more expensive but worth every penny

I've done the Punk a couple of times and it's fantastic, very very similar to Brewdog. I'm currently drinking their Shipyard which is excellent and am about to bottle the Birra Italia which I have high hopes of.
As already stated these are a great improvement over 'normal' kits, A bit more expensive but worth every penny
I've got a 36 litre pot and a 22 litre pot is that big enough to do these kits

Latest posts

Back