Dartmoor Brewery Recipes

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Portreath

Landlord.
Reaction score
Hi

Does anyone have a recipe for a Dartmoor Breweries jail ale or a Dartmoor Best, style beer?

Thanks

Thanks, that looks like a fairly comprehensive resource you have found there. Just need to figure out how the fermentable percentages work:thumb:

A guy over on JBK has had a go at it and come up with this for Jail Ale. He doesn't state a volume, could be 23L or 25L, plugging it into some brewing software should let you know.

OG 1.048
FG 1.012
ABV 4.8%
IBU 28.5
EBC 21.2

MO Pale malt 4,489g
Med Crystal 0.731g

60 min hops.
Goldings 4.9% 16g
Fuggles 4.5% 16g
Progress 6.8% 13g

Goldings 4.9% 16g 15 mins from end.

I notice on the back of the Jail Ale bottle under the ingredients it says Wheat, which isn’t included in that recipe. So I wonder if it’s accurate?

I notice on the back of the Jail Ale bottle under the ingredients it says Wheat, which isn’t included in that recipe. So I wonder if it’s accurate?

Most clone recipes aren't accurate, the breweries often keep their recipes close to their chest so anything the homebrewing community produces is an approximation.

I had a play with the recipe and added in around 5% wheat malt, this is what I came up with, noting I get a consistent 68% effiiciency with my BIAB setup, so you may need more or less grain depending on your efficiency.

Recipe Specs
----------------
Batch Size (L): 23.0
Original Gravity (OG): 1.048 (°P): 11.9
Final Gravity (FG): 1.012 (°P): 3.1
Alcohol by Volume (ABV): 4.72 %
Colour (SRM): 14.1 (EBC): 27.8
Bitterness (IBU): 30.2 (Average)
Brewhouse Efficiency (%): 68
Boil Time (Minutes): 60

Grain Bill
----------------
4.200 kg Maris Otter Malt (81.08%)
0.730 kg Crystal 60 standard (14.09%)
0.250 kg Wheat Malt (4.83%)

Hop Bill
----------------
14.0 g East Kent Golding Leaf (4.7% Alpha) @ 60 Minutes (Boil) (0.6 g/L)
14.0 g Fuggles Leaf (5.7% Alpha) @ 60 Minutes (Boil) (0.6 g/L)
12.0 g Progress Leaf (7.3% Alpha) @ 60 Minutes (Boil) (0.5 g/L)
16.0 g East Kent Golding Pellet (4.7% Alpha) @ 15 Minutes (Boil) (0.7 g/L)

Awful stuff that Jail Ale...
I can only think you are saying that because you once drank too much of it! In my, and many other people in the West Country's opinion, it is head and shoulders above all other local commercial beers, and even has its own fan club! I know exactly what went into it when the original brewer was in charge, as I used to get my yeast from him, and base mine on it, but I was told that in confidence.

If you scale the grain content down from 25Kg pale malt, and 1.5Kg each crystal malt and wheat malt per brewers barrel (36 gallons), you won't be far wrong. Spent an hour leafing back through my brewing log books as I know I recorded details at the time, but the hops used will have to remain a mystery. Nothing foreign I'm sure. The could try contacting the Jail Ale Appreciation Society which is run by one of their reps.

Back