Date wine or is it sherry?

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Found 3 x400g packs of out of date dates for £1!
So....
Quick search online and came up with

"Date Wine One Gallon

Date Wine--Seems to have fallen out of favour but dates are cheaper than they ever were. It is a bit sort of sherryish and we don't drink a lot of sherry any more. They drank it a lot on Terry and June in the seventies!

Date Wine
1kg Stoned Dates
500g raisins
1.5kg sugar
High Alcohol yeast
Pectolase
Yeast Nutrient
This wine is a medium to sweet wine, a rather old fashioned sort of wine that granny used to make!
From www.thebrewshop.com"

So am giving it a go.
Anyone done anything similar or comments?

Sent from my SM-G900F using Tapatalk

DATE wine. . Hahahahaha.

When I first read this I honestly thought it referred to some special beverage designed and intended for the swift removal of ladies undergarments! 😉 Following a trip to the cinema maybe.

Lol. Well different than "your turning into a down market version of Frazier or Niles Crane"

Not helped by the fact I've picked a large bucket of elderberries for 23l of port and currently sat with a small glass of rhubarb dessert wine

Found 3 x400g packs of out of date dates for £1!
So....
Quick search online and came up with

"Date Wine One Gallon

Date Wine--Seems to have fallen out of favour but dates are cheaper than they ever were. It is a bit sort of sherryish and we don't drink a lot of sherry any more. They drank it a lot on Terry and June in the seventies!

Date Wine
1kg Stoned Dates
500g raisins
1.5kg sugar
High Alcohol yeast
Pectolase
Yeast Nutrient
This wine is a medium to sweet wine, a rather old fashioned sort of wine that granny used to make!
From www.thebrewshop.com"

So am giving it a go.
Anyone done anything similar or comments?

Thanks for the recipe. I quite fancy that and it isnt in my CJJ Berry book. I was looking at some prune juice in Tesco today and wondering if it would go with dates for a deeper sherry flavour? Any thoughts on that appreciated.
I got into sherry on the back of whisky appreciation - helps to know your PX from your olorrosso when trying to pick out flavour notes :)

I have 3 wine books CJJ Berry, John Wright's Booze and Andy Hamiltons Booze for Free. Which serve me well.
But then you have the Internet, which has all those dark corners. Rhubarb and prune wine, date wine being hidden away. Which always leaves the question. WHY?
With good reason or if you don't try it how will you know.

Have a search for "granny's date sherry" it was made by a member on the Harris forum I believe and went down rather well from what I can recall.

Edit: Here we go

Grannys Date Sherry
1kg Stoned Dates
500g raisins
1.5kg sugar
High Alcohol yeast
Pectolase
Yeast Nutrient
This wine is a medium to sweet wine, a rather old fashioned sort of wine that your granny used to make!
It's closer to a sweet sherry than anything else!
Chop up the dates and raisins and put into a clean food grade bucket.
Pour 4 pints of boiling water(two kettles full is about right) over the fruit and add the sugar.
Leave overnight covered with a clean cloth
Next day add the rest of ingredients and 2 pints of cold water.
It should start bubbling within 24 hours.
Stir and mash about a couple of times a day
After 5 days strain off, use a coarse straining bag that you can buy off us. Or, improvise if you must with muslin
or the net curtains.
Put into a clean demi john and fill to the shoulders with cold water.Fit an airlock and leave to ferment out at room temperature.
This may take a few days or a couple of weeks depending on the temperature.
When the bubbles stop coming through the airlock, or slow down to about one every 2 minutes test the wine.
You can use a hydrometer or just taste it, if you like the taste go on to the next step. If you think it's too sweet, hard luck because we warned you before you started! If too dry you could add more sugar and go for even more alcohol. Just add 50grams of sugar at a time until it really stops fermenting. But you won'tusually get much more in!
Add 1 campden tablet and potassium sorbate.
Leave to clear.
When clear, syphon into a clean demi john or bottle.
If it's too dry you can sweeten with sugar but keep a check that it doesn't start fermenting again. Leave it a couple of
weeks then add a campden before bottling.
Mature for at least 1 yr.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Back