David Heath Called out ?

Discussion in 'General Beer Discussion' started by the baron, Mar 1, 2019.

Help Support The Homebrew Forum UK by donating:

1. Mar 4, 2019 #41

BeerCat

BeerCat

BeerCat

Landlord.

East and West Grimblestbottom under the rye
    I agree with you and i don't even own a GF. I have learned a lot from watching his videos. He should of just ignored them.

David Heath, Ronnie23 and Harbey like this.
  2. Mar 4, 2019 #42

ITMA

ITMA

ITMA

I can't get my head around it. He says "never has been, never will be" any commercial connection. And then a minute later he says he worked as a subcontractor for them.

I think he's saying (had to keep waking myself up) that the subcontracting had no effect or input on the youtube channel but for someone who is lauded as a great communicator he's done a great job of muddying up the picture.

3. Mar 4, 2019 #43

Pint Inspector

Pint Inspector

Pint Inspector

The number one competitor for the Grainfather worldwide is the Robobrew/Brewzilla (and it cost half the price) and David Heath gave it a favourable review in a side-by-side comparison. So, if he's a paid shill for GF he's not very good at it.

Ronnie23, Harbey and Lawrence22 like this.
  4. Mar 4, 2019 #44

DavidHatton

DavidHatton

DavidHatton

Half a pint of Stout drank so its time to bring out the python. "He's not the messiah, He's a very naughty boy" :hat:

5. Mar 4, 2019 #45

Drunkula

Drunkula

Drunkula

Landlord.

He's a great coma-nicator. I fall into a temporary one every time he speaks.

6. Mar 4, 2019 #46

darkbright

darkbright

darkbright

There are posts from 2015 where he is asking total newbie type questions on various forums. He now says that he is a master brewer of 35 years and only posted these messages pretending to be a newbie because he wanted to be part of the community. All very bizarre.

I have no problem with him but don't see why he appears to have set himself up as some expert on brewing when he is, in fact, a novice. Where is the shame in being a novice!?

7. Mar 5, 2019 #47

Headlands

Headlands

Headlands

OK, Am I the only one here for whom GF means girlfriend? This post reads SO differently to me to how it was intended....

Llamaman, Burtie, Harbey and 3 others like this.
  8. Mar 5, 2019 #48

Pavros

Pavros

Pavros

Landlord.

ashock1 :laugh8::laugh8::laugh8:

9. Mar 5, 2019 #49

Slid

Slid

Slid

Forum Friend Moderator

This is an interesting point, Lawrence.
    As regards DH having only brewed for 4 years, that may be true, but only with the added comment "... using a Grainfather". Having watched a lot (maybe not all) of the Vids on You Tube, there is no suggestion that he is anything other than an experienced and formerly professional brewer - See the racks of beautifully labelled bottles, for a start. Who could be arsed for their own consumption?

Lawrence22 likes this.
  10. Mar 5, 2019 #50

Lawrence22

Lawrence22

Lawrence22

Regular.

I am a big fan of his videos and have learned a lot from him. I really don't care either way I will continue to watch the videos, he surely knows a heck of a lot more than me. Some of the posts that were shown which he claimed were doctored had him asking questions that you would attribute to a beginner. There does appear to be a small group determined to discredit him, it seems it is linked to some bust up on a brewtube facebook group some time ago. As long as he is giving sound advice I can't see what their beef is. Oh and I am very happy with the conical fermenter I bought. It along with a basic cooling pump kit allow me to brew lagers without the need of a brewfridge.

MmmmCitra and Peter Scandlyn like this.
  11. Mar 5, 2019 #51

Peter Scandlyn

Peter Scandlyn

Peter Scandlyn

I already owned a GF when I found his YT channel, so I'm not particularly phased by all this hoo-ha.

If I'm allowed to digress a little, after purchase I re-hooked up with Facebook (I abhor it) purely because that seemed to be the go-to place for tips and tricks.
    And because I can legally and was aiming to get into the 'D'-word, the one that can't be used here, I joined their group for that too. Followed it avidly until one day the moderator of it, who until then passed himself off as knowledgeable, announced he was ready to put his knowledge to work and showed photos of all the product he had purchased to get started.
    Was he ever proud of it all!
    He'd swallowed the IMake d......ers catalogue - heaps of turbo yeasts, carbon, flavourings. I commented that he'd shown a major lack of knowledge and suggested if we could talk privately I could teach him a better way. So he banned me. End of.
    Then I came to my senses and killed all Facebook again.

Harbey likes this.
  12. Mar 5, 2019 #52

Harbey

Harbey

Harbey

I wish he'd just risen above it and not responded.

He's got some great content; he gives decent reviews in my opinion and, as already mentioned, has said the Robobrew is as good as a GF but half the price; and if he's picking up a few freebies and the odd bit of work as a result, then fair play to him. There's always going to be people ready to criticise - it's the internet innit?

Peter Scandlyn likes this.
  13. Mar 5, 2019 #53

Harbey

Harbey

Harbey

Yep, me too! Brings out the worst in most people.

Peter Scandlyn likes this.
  14. Mar 8, 2019 #54

Llamaman

Llamaman

Llamaman

Regular.

I said that at the work Christmas dinner. I am now unemployed and the court hearing is on Thursday.

Peter Scandlyn and Chippy_Tea like this.
  15. Mar 11, 2019 #55

itry

itry

itry

I cant see what the problem or diffrence makes. In all fairness does it really matter. Are you all so dissapointed with your grainfathers that his recomendations have misslead you? If you bought a grain father on his recomendation , awesome! Because as soon as you open it and you use it you know its awesome!!!

Long live the grainfather.

16. Mar 11, 2019 #56

Clint

Clint

Clint

Hammered.....

It's not about that...it's about transparency.
    If someone was being paid they would usually only fully endorse a product against all others and it would be known they are a sponsor.
    Recommendation or praise for anything else has come almost in line with the current uproar,this being the Robo brew. Anything else he's called "junk" or over priced...

17. Mar 11, 2019 #57

chrissyr63

chrissyr63

chrissyr63

Is this spat still going on - couple of (overly) middle-aged bloggers (with a few k followers each) arguing about who's the most honest/best!
    It's not as if the Peppa Pigs channel was caught out promoting pork scratchings.

But to take sides looks like GF was way ahead of everyone at the price but Robobrew are first to have upped their game with better quality v3 at half the price of GF.
    The RBv3 does look good for the money.

As an aside next time you roll your eyes at your daughter/grandaughter/whoever twittering on about some nobody 'celebs' antics (with their millions of followers) remember this thread!

Ronnie23 and Peter Scandlyn like this.
  18. Mar 11, 2019 #58

Clint

Clint

Clint

Hammered.....

"at the price" and "half the price" I think sticks...but it's the CF chiller that only reflects this...maybe..

19. Mar 11, 2019 #59

chrissyr63

chrissyr63

chrissyr63

Agree the cf is the usp for GF and looks good but +£2-300 for it?
    Interface looks slicker but again some smart phone interaction worth the extra? (Always reminds me of the internet connected kettle - why!).
    GF a bit upgradeable but who ever does that.

I think things have moved on a bit and GF looks a bit less in front - which is the direction DH videos seem to be have gone.

20. Mar 14, 2019 #60

David Heath

David Heath

David Heath

The fact is I had actually disclosed it previously, it is just that this video maker did not know. During the period I did sub contract for them I did not make any reviews. 95% of my channel is just passing on advice and recipes anyway :)