de gassing help

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

robh

Reaction score
hi all
new to making wine, all seems to be goin ok, im making 23litres of wine works kit, fermenting finished added stabiliser and just degassing, although ive been degassing for about 5 days lol, is this correct, just been using the spoon, ive actually ordered a wand now to help , but is this time frame about right, my wine is all flat when I come to it but once I start stirring it starts frothing up so assume it still needs to be done , is this correct

thanks for any tips rob

A wand in a drill makes fairly short work of this process. You can make your own easily enough, I made one out of a plastic coat hanger.

Shouldn't need 5 days of stirring up though, you're probably just creating the froth with air rather than releasing any gas. My usual process is to move the wine off the sediment into a new container along with the stabiliser, sulphites, etc. then degas. At that point you could leave it for a day of two to let the rest of the CO2 dissipate naturally but I normally just add the finings. It's then around 5 days before I'll think about bottling so any further gas should be gone by then.

thanks for the reply, ive got a wand off ebay, was only 6 pound so not too bad, ill maybe have a go with that for a day but like you say I did wonder if I was creating my own froth....thanks

The wands are good but just be careful when using it that the surface of the liquid does not getting broken as the wand is spinning. Do short bursts and change direction on the drill. I have oxidised wine in the past by going too nuts with these, although these were 1 gallon batches so easier to do probably than with a 5 gallon batch...

The instructions in the Winebuddy kits say to degas by decanting into another container at least 6 times. Is this a good method?

I have read that before but i don't know many here that use it so i guess that says it all. ;)

The instructions in the Winebuddy kits say to degas by decanting into another container at least 6 times. Is this a good method?

It sounds like it might introduce a lot of air. I would be very careful and don't slosh or splash it. Generally we use a siphon to transfer so as not to introduce air (and also to leave behind sediment).

If you can make a degassing wand out of a hanger (or buy one) I would say that is a better option. Or just stirring regularly for a few days...

Latest posts

Back