De Halve Maan yeast

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Maxonian

Reaction score
Greetings all I’m wondering if anyone can help me. Does anybody know anything about this yeast? I’ve done a bit of digging online and can’t find anything.

I split a batch of pale ale and fermented one gallon of it with some yeast that I harvested some from a bottle of Brugse Zot. Fermentation took off and the beer is down to 1.012 from an OG of 1.049 after four days. I tried a sample of it and it’s very bready/crackery. I couldn’t taste much in the way of hops and the original batch had 100g in it in 6 gallons total.

It absolutely reeked of sulphur for two days after pitching which is common for some lager yeasts but I assumed that De Halve Maan would be using an ale yeast? Or do they bottle condition their beers with a lager yeast? What exactly have I harvested?!

I found a few references on Dutch and Flemish forums, and the yeast in the bottle would (from three different people) be the correct one.

Smelling of sulphur also occurs when there are not enough yeast nutrients present in my experience.

Latest posts

Back