De-sulphurize beer in the keg - Is this possible?

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Toastkid

Reaction score
I did a brew recently with a new type of yeast i hadn't used before (Lallemand Verdant IPA) and discovered **after** kegging it that it's got a very strong sulphury/eggy flavour. In hindsight the yeast is obviously one of those ones that makes a lot of hydrogen sulfide and needs to be left to clear out for a couple of weeks after fermentation finishes. (those yeasts should be required by law to have a big warning on them imo, it doesn't even mention it anywhere in the product description as far as I can see).

Is there any way to clear the eggy flavour out while it's in the keg? I've vented the gas out a couple times, i thought maybe if I do that every couple of days it might help a bit. Should I just keep doing this? thanks

Lallemand just released a good (if long) video on H2S: A Brewers Guide to H2S

In short: a yeast throwing so much sulphur is not good and most likely a nutrition problem. Try adding some yeast nutrient next time. In my experience sulphur fades away with aging. I guess that the beer is hoppy and not the kind of beer you want to age too long. Give it a week at low temperatures and see if the sulhur subdues. You could try to vent the keg once a day to speed up the process.

Alternately you could keep it at room temperature and let the yeast clean up the sulphur, and lastly you could try to add copper which helps to clean up the sulphur.

I believe 'scrubbing' the volatile Sulphur out of a beer by bubbling co2 through it, is a thing. I haven't had the need to try it though.

Thanks Dorst. I normally use Safale 05 (without nutrient) and love the flavour of the beer so i don't know if I need to add any nutrient to that but it's good to know that sulphur flavors can come from a lack of nutrient with some yeasts. I think I will probably just not use that yeast again tbh.

The beer is super hoppy. I don't mind leaving it for a while for reasons of flavour, it's more impatience at wanting to drink it! My kegs ran out over xmas and it's my only one on at the moment. It seems that copper in trace amounts during fermentation (even just stirring it with a copper pipe) works well to reduce sulfide but I haven't seen any additives for finished beer. I saw some references to "copper finings" but on closer inspection they were actually "kettle finings" like carageenan, and "copper" was used as a synonym for "kettle" rather than actual copper chemicals.

I think i'll just keep venting it as you say and hope it eventually subsides.
thanks

Latest posts

Back