Decant or chuck it all in ?

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Keruso

Regular.
Reaction score
I've made a 3 litre starter using Omega OYL-200, it's been 48 hours and still almost nothing has settled, I want to leave it at room temperature for another day, I was going to put it in the fridge but there's not enough time to get it back up to pitching temp as im brewing this weekend. However Omega say this strain is non-flocculant, stubbornly so. Therefore I shouldn't expect much to settle anyway. That's a lot of starter to add to my wort. I usually get 22 litres into the FV, i'll mash/sparge with 3 litres less so I can add the starter to raise to 22 litres. Obviously this will affect my OG, is there an easy way to work out how many gravity points it will drop by? Recipe should hit 1.067 OG with 22litre batch, but 3 litres of the 22 will be the starter, so what would the OG be after the starter is added ? thanks

You don't need to get the yeast back up to pitching temp. If it's settled you can pour off if you want and pitch it straight into the wort. I linked to a video from one of the yeast manufacturers before saying you don't need to do any of that attempuration stuff.

I'd already heard this with putting yeast from cold into warm.

Other yeast temp sensitivities I've heard is that s-04 can floc out early with a few degrees temperature drop during fermentation. Along with people saying that they taste a tartness they don't like with s-04 I'm not sure if I can be bothered with it any more.

As Drunkula says you can pitch yeast that is cooler then the wort but not the other way round, but why add it all to the FV, remove from fridge, carefully pour off the wort leaving just enough to swirl the remaining yeast. Swirl it and chuck it in the FV job done and no need to worry about change of OG

You don't need to get the yeast back up to pitching temp. If it's settled you can pour off if you want and pitch it straight into the wort. I linked to a video from one of the yeast manufacturers before saying you don't need to do any of that attempuration stuff.

I'd already heard this with putting yeast from cold into warm.

Other yeast temp sensitivities I've heard is that s-04 can floc out early with a few degrees temperature drop during fermentation. Along with people saying that they taste a tartness they don't like with s-04 I'm not sure if I can be bothered with it any more.
I’ve never used the yeast before, as the manufacturer says it’s near non flocculant so it may not drop even if kept in the fridge, so worse case if I had to chuck it all in how could I maintain the intended OG ?

Bit of an update, so after 3 days the starter has begun to clear at the top, when Omega said this yeast is stubbornly non flocculant they weren’t joking. Off to the fridge now to cool ready for brewday tomorrow. Going to sit it in a bucket of water at pitching temperature to gradually bring it back up to temperature before pitching, hopefully I can pour some of the liquid away first.

Going to sit it in a bucket of water at pitching temperature to gradually bring it back up to temperature before pitching
Sounds like that could even be detremental because you're giving them time to start eating each other. This is one of those things where it's going to be hard to shift the old way of doing things.

Sounds like that could even be detremental because you're giving them time to start eating each other. This is one of those things where it's going to be hard to shift the old way of doing things.

I managed to decant off about a litre of the starter as there was still a lot in suspension, the rest was chucked in, didn’t bother with bringing it back up to pitch temp. Just hope there was enough yeast this time. Calculator says I should be fine, will see in a week or so.

Back