December Competition, British Pales, Bitters and Milds

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I've postponed judging for a few days to allow for a late entry to arrive.
I hope no-one minds but as there's only been 3 entries from 2 brewers I thought it would good to have a bit more competition.
acheers.

The beers have been drunk and the results are in.
Many thanks to everyone that sent beers for the comp. :hat:
There were 5 entries from 3 brewers and there was a nice mix of styles.
I'll send full feedback via PM tomorrow but in reverse order the results are.........

In 1st place with a sublime barley wine is @BeerCat clapa
I don't usually drink strong beers, but this was lovely - rich and silky smooth and very clean for a 8.5% beer

Thanks Dan for judging and for the feedback. And well done to @BeerCat and @steve123.

My feedback from Dan for your interest. As I said to Dan I think he has been a bit generous with the scores myself, but i'll take it!

Aroma - very inviting, sweet malt & nutty, which mingled with the moderate choclate aroma to remind me of nutella.athumb.. No hop aroma, and very clean without any esters. 10/12

Appearance - dark brown, almost opaque with a loose tan head that quickly disipated. 3/3

Flavour - mild roast with a coffee like quality, faint chocolate but not as much as in the aroma. Low bitterness and a slightly sweet finish but retained great drinkability. Very cleanly fermented. 17/20

Mouthfeel - medium/light bodied with fairly high carbonation, smooth without any astringency or alcohol warmth. 4/5

Overall - a delicious beer without any flaws. The chocolate works well in the base beer and it was very drinkable for quite a strong mild. For my personal tastes I'd have liked the chocolate to come through a bit more in the flavour, and slightly lower carbonation. 9/10

TOTAl 43/50

Latest posts

Back