Decent 5L jug?

Help Support The HomeBrew Forum:

kelper

Old Salt
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Can anyone point me to a good jug? I have a plastic "5L" jug but it's obviously a 'gallon' jug and won't hold 5L unless you 'brim' it and then it won't or properly. All the markings are inaccurate to compound the error. It's out by 0.2 to 0.3 of a litre.

foxbat

Landlord.
Reaction score
Cream supplies would be my normal go-to for anything jug or flask related but unfortunately they're out of stock of those jugs. If you email them they might be able to advise when they're likely to get more in.

kelper

Old Salt
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I am looking for a recommendation. It has to pour well and have accurate markings. Google does not tell me these facts.

Thanks Foxbat, I'll follow that up.

kelper

Old Salt
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I would look at professional catering supplies if you want accuracy. Something like this maybe

£18 plus VAT plus delivery makes it too expensive for me. But I do use Nisbets occasionally. wink...

RichardM

Regular.
Reaction score
Can anyone point me to a good jug? I have a plastic "5L" jug but it's obviously a 'gallon' jug and won't hold 5L unless you 'brim' it and then it won't or properly. All the markings are inaccurate to compound the error. It's out by 0.2 to 0.3 of a litre.
That sounds like my '5l' jug. I just calibrated it and used a permanent marker to redo the scale. It's now a 4l jug with some headspace.

Banbeer

Brewing YTS
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I know what you mean, I bought a 5L jug and it needs to be brimmed for 5L and is crap at pouring when full (from Bigger jugs)

kelper

Old Salt
Supporting Member
Reaction score

Brasseur français

Reaction score
I got fed up with floppy plastic jugs so now I use one that came from an agricultural supplier. It was designed for agrochemical use so is both strong and well calibrated. It also holds 5 litres without getting any where near full.

kelper

Old Salt
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Thanks all. I've just ordered a Pro-Jug at £28 delivered. Would have been £35 from some retailers. I like the spout and hope it pours properly.

kelper

Old Salt
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Yes, same jug. It was only £5. But shouldn't be sold as a 5ltr jug! It's sturdy but a terrible pourer!

GerritT

Landlord.
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I have this one and I'm quite chuffed with it. Graduation is correct and it's usable for higher (60ºC) temps. £13 but without p&p

Clint

Hammered.....
Reaction score
Yeah I got the "lyin' jug"....just weigh out 4kg of water in it and mark it with a permanent marker...or spend another load of money on nothing...

matt76

Landlord.
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Go to Tesco, buy a 5L bottle of Ashbeck water, drink the water or magic it into beer, keep the bottle and re-use athumb..

(but beware, the plastic carrying handle will eventually snap off aheadbutt )

Latest posts