Decent 5L jug?

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

kelper

Old Salt
Reaction score
Can anyone point me to a good jug? I have a plastic "5L" jug but it's obviously a 'gallon' jug and won't hold 5L unless you 'brim' it and then it won't or properly. All the markings are inaccurate to compound the error. It's out by 0.2 to 0.3 of a litre.

Cream supplies would be my normal go-to for anything jug or flask related but unfortunately they're out of stock of those jugs. If you email them they might be able to advise when they're likely to get more in.

I am looking for a recommendation. It has to pour well and have accurate markings. Google does not tell me these facts.

Thanks Foxbat, I'll follow that up.

Can anyone point me to a good jug? I have a plastic "5L" jug but it's obviously a 'gallon' jug and won't hold 5L unless you 'brim' it and then it won't or properly. All the markings are inaccurate to compound the error. It's out by 0.2 to 0.3 of a litre.
That sounds like my '5l' jug. I just calibrated it and used a permanent marker to redo the scale. It's now a 4l jug with some headspace.

I know what you mean, I bought a 5L jug and it needs to be brimmed for 5L and is **** at pouring when full (from Bigger jugs)

I got fed up with floppy plastic jugs so now I use one that came from an agricultural supplier. It was designed for agrochemical use so is both strong and well calibrated. It also holds 5 litres without getting any where near full.

Thanks all. I've just ordered a Pro-Jug at £28 delivered. Would have been £35 from some retailers. I like the spout and hope it pours properly.

Yes, same jug. It was only £5. But shouldn't be sold as a 5ltr jug! It's sturdy but a terrible pourer!

Yeah I got the "lyin' jug"....just weigh out 4kg of water in it and mark it with a permanent marker...or spend another load of money on nothing...

Go to Tesco, buy a 5L bottle of Ashbeck water, drink the water or magic it into beer, keep the bottle and re-use athumb..

(but beware, the plastic carrying handle will eventually snap off aheadbutt )

Back