Decent Lager kit

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Satellitemark

Regular.
Reaction score
Almost every thing I read about lager kits is negative, I live in a house without central heating so I think I could do a kit with lower temperature lager yeast if such a beast exists.

If anyone knows of a decent Lager kit please let me know about it.

Thanks,

Mark

I am no expert but believe that many kits sold as lagers either have ale yeasts or a sort of hybrid though I have read on here that the Coopers European lager comes with a lager yeast and the reviews seem OK.

Almost every thing I read about lager kits is negative, I live in a house without central heating so I think I could do a kit with lower temperature lager yeast if such a beast exists.

If anyone knows of a decent Lager kit please let me know about it.

Thanks,

Mark
My post was meant as a reply though not sent as such so this might serve as an alert!

The Coopers kits are good, especially if you do a dry hop with some lager hops like Hallertau or Saaz.

As stated above, the European uses a true lager yeast but the downside is it takes at least 12 weeks in the bottle to mature. TBH I've done that one and the Australian Lager and both were fine.

Hi Guys,

Thanks for the replies, I don't mind the longer time in the bottle, as I could stash It for use in spring for family gatherings ( if we are permitted)

Mark

Coopers 86 day Pilsner also comes with the same lager yeast.
However you might need to use extra lager yeast if you intend to ferment below say 14-15*C although some have managed with the single 7g kit yeast (I didn't).

I'd heard that was good, I've done the Wilko's one a few times and always enjoyed the results.

Mark
I did the wilko one once, but found it to taste more ale like than a crisp lager? Honestly as far kits go, the Mexican cerveza is bloody lovely. Although its brewed at ale temps, you wouldn’t have thought so? The yeast i guess has a mixture of both ale and lager perhaps?

I did the wilko one once, but found it to taste more ale like than a crisp lager? Honestly as far kits go, the Mexican cerveza is bloody lovely. Although its brewed at ale temps, you wouldn’t have thought so? The yeast i guess has a mixture of both ale and lager perhaps?
I haven't tried the Wilko one but regard kits sold as lagers with ale yeast as pale ales and they somehow taste better then! I see on the recipe section of their website Coopers suggest adding 25g of calypso hops to the Cerveza kit and wonder whether you added anything or did it as it came?

Thanks for the tip, it sounds like its one to try.

Mark

The Cooper's kit is actually cheaper than the Wilko one !
Do you rate it above their European and Australian lagers ?

Mark

The Cooper's kit is actually cheaper than the Wilko one !
Do you rate it above their European and Australian lagers ?

Mark
I’ve never done the euro lager myself, but it does get good reviews. The Australian lager i done a couple times and tbh it was much like an ale taste than lager. I only did a couple of the wilko ones and they always disappointed, so I mainly did the coopers ones

I brew in the shed. Have a foam pad and a heating pad under the bucket and a hot water tank insulating jacket around the bucket. I have a timer switch on the heat pad to cycle on/off. At the moment it's at around 18C when it's about 5C out.

Enjoyed the Cooper's kits mentioned above. I tried a few Wilko Cerveza and that wasn't bad at all especially when primed with brown sugar.

They get a lot better with age. A few extra weeks makes a massive difference. So make sure you have your next kit ready when you're done bottling and you'll soon build up a nice stock so the ones you're drinking will have been conditioned for months rather than weeks.

Have also tried some bitters, IPAs and I have a Newky Brown kit on the go too. Sometimes I make ginger beer with ginger, lemonade, something citrusy and the slurry from a lager kit.

Hi Mark did you get a Lager kit and yeast? Looking to make a kit for the wife for summer.And in same position as you were.

Hi Mark did you get a Lager kit and yeast? Looking to make a kit for the wife for summer.And in same position as you were.
Hi Rover ,

In the end I went back to the Hammer of Thor kits (6%) because my family and friends like it, I think it is a "hybrid " kit using a yeast that works at higher temperatures than a true lager yeast.
We also like the Wilko Mexican which is a nice lighter beer (4%,)
Which the women particularly like and in my opinion is a good summer thirst quenching beer.

Mark

Cheers Mark,I've currently got a Hammer of Thor on second week of conditioning,the first time of trying it.I think might be a bit strong for the Mrs if comes out ok in a couple of month.The Wilko Mexican at 4% looks a good bet.
How long did you condition your Thor for the last time?

Back