deciding what kit to get.

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Ian Burlison

Reaction score
Hi all, I'm about to set foot back into the home brewing world after a few years gap and am currently working out what will be the best system for me. I'm going in sharies with my son and our joint budget gives us the chance of getting some better kit than I used to have in the past and I would be grateful to hear what other peoples experiences have been with the kit they have used over the last few years.

For the mash vessel, we are currently thinking Klarstein, which seem to be very good prices, we are not sure whether to get the Mundschenk or the Maischfest. The big difference between the 2 seem to be the recirculation feature and the better power/temperature control.

For the Fermenter, we are currently thinking it is worth stretching to a conical stainless steel and are not sure whether to go with the SS Brewtech Chronicle, or the SS Brewtech Unitank. The big difference between these seem to be the ability to carbonate the beer in the Unitank.

Does anyone have any experience they would like to share with any of the above (or even alternative makes).

Thanks in advance
Ian

Hi!
The first thing that will benefit good beer is a controllable fermentation temperature. Get a tall larder fridge, an Inkbird controller and a tubular heater. With these, even the humble plastic fermentation bin will give you great results.
The Mundschenk looks to be a better option - it's an all-in-one system.

Hi!
The first thing that will benefit good beer is a controllable fermentation temperature. Get a tall larder fridge, an Inkbird controller and a tubular heater. With these, even the humble plastic fermentation bin will give you great results.
The Mundschenk looks to be a better option - it's an all-in-one system.

Thanks, the house will be a reasonably constant temperature, and I anticipate using a neoprene cover, but I will investigate the controller and tubular heater as well.

I agree with bigcol. Temperature control will make a much bigger difference than what SS conical or all-in-one system you use. In fact, while SS conicals are nice, I think you would be better off using a plastic fermentation bucket and putting the cash into a Grainfather.

+1
I think you'd make better beer in a plastic vessel with well controlled fermentation temps, than a SS conical with uncontrolled temp.
Plastic conicals are available - I use the fermentasaurus (which can take pressure and be used as a unitank - the mk2 version is due out soon) but others are also out there

Thanks for all the input. I wouldnt have guessed the temp would be such a big factor. I will do a bit research on the temperature aspect. To an extent my son is short on space and will have to site it in a visible area of the house, so there is a cosmetic aspect as well as the functional aspect. Happy for any additional thoughts anyone has. Cheers.

Thanks, the house will be a reasonably constant temperature, and I anticipate using a neoprene cover, but I will investigate the controller and tubular heater as well.
I don't think you'd have any problems keeping it warm enough in the house - the challenge would be keeping it cool enough , especially during the early stages of fermentation when its generating alot of its own heat, and avoiding big temp swings.

I agree a plastic fermenter and a fermentation fridge will be money well spent instead of a SS conical etc. You will get better beer consistently with control. £15 for a bucket £20 for a second hand fridge if you gumtree etc and probably about £25 for a inkbird controller well below the cost of a SS conical which has really no advantages over a plastic bucket apart from possible yeast harvest and looking good. They are for brewers who have plenty of cash to throw at their hobby but do look nice if you can afford them

Thanks Dan125, yes, cooling fermentation is something I have never bothered with in the past, but on the back of comments on this thread I have found several articles that describe why temperature control is so important. So, I will now be taking a fresh look at what kit to get with temperature control as one of the important criteria. I'm learning already athumb..

Thanks Baron. In our case the look of the kit is a feature that we were after, we will be very short on space at my sons house and we were hoping to put the fermenter (and maybe mash tun) somewhere that is visible, and use them as decorative features. However, we have to have a rethink based on the temperature control requirements.

It is possible to have both. If you can find an undercounter glass-fronted wine fridge, you can put a shiny conical in that and it looks pretty good.
FermFridgesBrewBuckets728.jpg

[not my picture]
EDIT: The fv in the pic is a 7 US gallon brew bucket from SS brewtech, and is considerably cheaper and space efficient than a conical.

clapa I really like that. We have a list of criteria/features that we are using to help make our selection, I think we need to revisit our list and scores with some of the new ideas. Cheers.

Latest posts

Back