Decoction mash

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Hoddy

General lurker.......
Supporting Member
Reaction score
So I’m thinking about trying to make a true likeness of a Pilsner urquell. To do this you would have to do a decoction of your mash.

I have a BM, which like other all in one systems means doing a true decoction is near impossible.

So I was wondering what I might be able to do so I can get that true Pilsner decoction malt flavour.

I was thinking I could get some of the heaviest crystal malt and add that, potentially only at 5% to try and get that unique urquell character.

Thoughts?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

I'd heard melanoidin malt in a podcast so typed "melanoidin decoction" into google and there seems to be a lot out there. Not read any of it, just remember it.

Why is true decoction impossible on the BM? Surely you can scoop out, boil in a pan and add back in again.

Melanoidin or Munich would be the subs for a decoction. Not crystal. I put 3% light crystal (15 EBC) in a lager and it knocked the flavour profile too far towards sweet for my liking.

I often use a little melanoidin. Around 3% You can also get a light version. One of the best lagers I have made recently was 100% floor malted bohemian though. I made a red Lager using carred and melanoidin which was nice but the flavour is present. Personally I can't really say if the melanoidin makes a lot of difference. I made 100% Vienna and that was very malty. 25ppm of calcium and gypsum.

Latest posts

Back