degassing and stabilising

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

oh..my..head!

Reaction score
Ey up,

well my 1st batch of orange and pineapple wine is racked into DJ now the ferment has calmed down and is bubbling away nicely. I have a turbo cider and grape and apple WOW planned next. A 4 gallon batch in 5.5 gallon bucket and it still tried to escape...twice!

Degassing wand. What a brilliant idea..i had certainly never heard of or realised the difference that this can make when i was making wine 10 years ago. Every day is a school day. I am going to make one tomorrow.

Now when i was making wine many years ago the books that i read and talking to other brewers at the time potassium sorbate or campden tablets were used for stabilising....I seem to remember though when just using pot sorb i got the occasional batch that had an earthy flower scent that wasn't there before it went in. and i certainly didn't get any of the earthy smells just using campden tablets.

I note that most of the WOW recipe's call for leaving the wine for a week once the ferment stops to remove aldehydes (something else i had never heard of) and then rack onto a crushed campden tablet and dose of potassium sorbate. Could someone please explain the up to date thinking on using both.

Very cool forum guys and i have already learned more in the last week reading through the various threads than i realised i would.

Many thanks

Adrian

I note that most of the WOW recipe's call for leaving the wine for a week once the ferment stops to remove aldehydes (something else i had never heard of)

This was the way we used to do it back in 2013 but some members decided to ignored the advice and didn't suffer any negative effects so everyone who was here then did the same.

If you haven't already read it have a look at the first post - http://www.thehomebrewforum.co.uk/showthread.php?t=49462

then rack onto a crushed campden tablet and dose of potassium sorbate. Could someone please explain the up to date thinking on using both.

Campden tablets are used to stop the wine spoiling, potassium sorbate (often called wine stabiliser) as the article in the link below explains - What potassium sorbate does do is keep wine yeast from increasing in numbers. It stops the wine yeast from reproducing itself into a larger colony.

https://blog.eckraus.com/potassium-sorbate-in-wine-making

Chippy Tea, Many thanks. I must have missed the dates when i was ready about aldehydes. looks like i need a tub of potassium sorbate too, and i only went to the local home brew shop last week too...Doh!!

Latest posts

Back