Degassing beads

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Thanks. I wonder now if the (microscopic) roughness just streamlines the mentors like sharkskin and only serves to speed up the mentos' descent?

doesn't that risk oxidization of the wine? thats why i use a brake bkeeder on meads, as they are hyper sensitive to it.

I often struggle to degass my wines quickly, tried many things since returning to homebrew, only thing that I can guarantee that works for ME is vigourous shaking over a couple of days.

I'm really curious about using a vacuum though! When my next batch is ready, I'm going to try using a small vacuum pump. I wonder if an immersible vibrating motor would work/help? Time to rummage through component boxes...

If you use a degassing wand 5 seconds reverse 5 seconds forward and repeat for one minute will do it every time, no need to do it longer or over several days..

https://www.thehomebrewforum.co.uk/threads/how-to-degas-wine-with-a-home-made-degassing-wand.48971/
For some reason that I can't fathom, degassing wand doesn't seem to be effective for me. I've purchased a wand and tried the modified coathanger. Should be simple/easy, fit into cordless driver, pull trigger, reverse, repeat. Tried running for a minute, two minutes, etc. Not had anything go wrong but clearing takes weeks. It's user error I'm sure but haven't had a wand work to clear faster yet, still perservering though, I'll crack it one day aheadbutt

Chris

The problem here is that yes this might work! However in order to do it you would have to achieve a flow rate across the surface area of the beads maybe tinkering with the suspended fluid

So drill and coat hanger/wand would be cheaper and you'd need these to generate the flow with the beads anyway

For some reason that I can't fathom, degassing wand doesn't seem to be effective for me. I've purchased a wand and tried the modified coathanger. Should be simple/easy, fit into cordless driver, pull trigger, reverse, repeat. Tried running for a minute, two minutes, etc. Not had anything go wrong but clearing takes weeks. It's user error I'm sure but haven't had a wand work to clear faster yet, still perservering though, I'll crack it one day aheadbutt

Chris

If you use the forward/reverse method for a minute there shouldn't be enough CO2 left to slow clearing, which finings have you used and did you use pectolace when you started the wine?

KwiK Clear is the fastest fining i have used and it has a long shelf life once opened, Yoyungs Clear it is also a two part fining like KC but its shelf life is much shorter if you haven't used either of these give KwiK Clear a try (it comes in two sizes so go for the small)

Kwik Klear 135L & 270L Beer & Wine Finnings

Kwik Klear Sufficient to treat 70 to 135 litres - £3.75
Kwik Klear Sufficient to treat 135 to 270 litres - £4.99

Description
This kit consists of two 60ml bottles
one of Kieselsol (silicic acid) solution (finings A)
one of Gelatine solution (Finings B)
and will treat between 70 and 270 litres of wine and beer.

Ritchies new faster-acting Kwik Clear Wine and Beer Finings are a well established and trusted method of clearing your wine and beer.
By using Kwik Clear, brilliant clarity is achieved in less than 24 hours with little or no effect on the flavour and bouquet of the wine.

Follow the instructions on the packet for excellent bright wine or beer.

1600614042234.png

Last edited:

Chris
What's your basic setup glass demi or plastic bucket? What is your temperature? Whilst people seem to shout about stuff the general secret to brewing is cleanliness, seals and temperature. Buy a 30L bucket just for sterilising in. Get a thermometer. Get a big pot of no rinse steriliser.

remember to sterilise everything including the coat hanger for 20 minutes (also i tend to use coffee filters for the unmentionable)

Last edited:
If you use the forward/reverse method for a minute there shouldn't be enough CO2 left to slow clearing, which finings have you used and did you use pectolace when you started the wine?

KwiK Clear is the fastest fining i have used and it has a long shelf life once opened, Yoyungs Clear it is also a two part fining like KC but its shelf life is much shorter if you haven't used either of these give KwiK Clear a try (it comes in two sizes so go for the small)

KWIK CLEAR WINE FININGS
£3.05 – £4.35

2 stage finings – contains Kieselsol & Gelatine and normally clears 5 gallons in 2-3 days.
Instructions:
Add 1-2ml of Finings A per 4.5L of wine and stir well. Leave for 30 minutes.
Add 1-2ml of Finings B per 4.5L of wine and stir well.
Rack the wine off the sediment when it has cleared – usually 24-72 hours. In the case of cloudy wines a second treatment may be required. Always use equal amounts of the 2 solutions.

https://brewingathome.co.uk/product/kwik-clear-wine-finings/
View attachment 32895
Sorry don't want to hijack this thread with my issue, but... Currently using KwikClear usually with great success, that is, if the the wine is well degassed it clears in a day or so, but if not, then a week. I just need to persevere!

Still going to tinker with a vacuum pump and maybe a vibrating motor, which I've found, just don't have the right size tube yet. Just an excuse to have some fun :beer1:

I vividly remember a day out with my father when I was about 12. He took Me to Drayton Manor Park (the Birmingham Disney world of its day) and we went to a café where he bought me a lemonade. On the table was a jar of sugar with a chrome top and a spout. So I poured some into my drink. It erupted all over the table. He was very cross but I thought it was brilliant and decided to become an engineer.

I often struggle to degass my wines quickly, tried many things since returning to homebrew, only thing that I can guarantee that works for ME is vigourous shaking over a couple of days.

I'm really curious about using a vacuum though! When my next batch is ready, I'm going to try using a small vacuum pump. I wonder if an immersible vibrating motor would work/help? Time to rummage through component boxes...
If i have a demijohn , i throw it on my stir plat, (lab one i got yrs ago) turn it on max and that vibrates co2 out. but for 5 gallon carboys i have a glass tube fitted in bung, hook that up to brake bleeder and start pumping. 3-4 squeezes and watch those bubles rise, i just keep going , then leave it 30 mins, a few more pumps. after a night, its proper degassed.

If i have a demijohn , i throw it on my stir plat, (lab one i got yrs ago) turn it on max and that vibrates co2 out. but for 5 gallon carboys i have a glass tube fitted in bung, hook that up to brake bleeder and start pumping. 3-4 squeezes and watch those bubles rise, i just keep going , then leave it 30 mins, a few more pumps. after a night, its proper degassed.
I'm going to test a few variants of vacuum pump when my next WOW completes. Just waiting to get a length of tubing to hook up a small pump. I'm also seeing how I could hook up a Vacuvin pump to a glass demijohn. I've found a small vibrating motor, but not sure how I could use it yet, going to tinker over the next few days. Isn't life exciting?

Latest posts

Back