Degassing, cold crashing, dining and bottling... in that order?

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Hagrid

Reaction score
Good afternoon,

I’ve got an elderflower wine bubbling away nicely in the DJ but wanted to double check the running order of my next steps when I get there.

Presumably when I degass it’ll stir up what settles at the bottom of the DJ, so do I degass -> cold crash -> add finings -> bottle?

Cheers

Hagrid

If you rack to a clean demijohn after fermentation and leave the trub behind then you're not stirring it all up when degassingathumb..

If you rack to a clean demijohn after fermentation and leave the trub behind then you're not stirring it all up when degassingathumb..

This is very true.

Do you run a risk of oxidising when you degass and can you over do it?

Chippie tea, what stabiliser do you use?

Chippie tea, what stabiliser do you use?

Usually the Youngs stuff as i can get it locally and it does the job.

1591464690330.png

I suppose you could add oxygen while degassing but the co2 leaving the wine should stop this..I note youre making elderflower wine as opposed to champagne ,as the champers wouldnt need degassing.

I suppose you could add oxygen while degassing but the co2 leaving the wine should stop this..
That makes sense. Thank you.

I note youre making elderflower wine as opposed to champagne ,as the champers wouldnt need degassing.

That’s right. I’m not a massive fan of too many bubbles. :)

I suppose you could add oxygen while degassing but the co2

As long as you don't overdo it there shouldn't be a problem, i use a drill attachment made from a coat hanger and find 5 seconds forward and 5 back and keep switching for a minute is all that is needed, i have seen people put the drill on forward and make a huge vortex i never thought that a good idea.

Make your own degassing wand - How to degas wine with a home made degassing wand

I have transferred my wine today degassed and added the 3 sachets all ok. do I have to keep it at 21C or can it be left at room temp of 17-18C

The colder the better but i leave mine in the kitchen where i make it and its fine.

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back