Degassing during fermentation

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Petrolhead

Regular.
Reaction score
Ten days ago I made up a gallon of simple mead and a gallon of pear wine.

Both are still fermenting furiously and very satisfyingly but I think I read somewhere, possibly in the mead section, that I should degas every few days by simply shaking the demijohn.

Is this good practice?

Many thanks

For me the answer is "No. It's not good practice."

If a brew of anything is fermenting happily I can see no reason to go and disturb it.

Apart from anything else, how are you going to control the froth and CO2 that comes out of suspension when you agitate the DJ? It seems like an instant recipe for a mess to me. :thumb:

I have heard of people continuing to aerate mead for the first couple of days of fermentation, I think there’s an idea that the honey solution is harder for CO2 to escape from. Personally, I’ve both done it and not done it on mead with no noticeable difference in the end product. Dutto is right though about the foam so if you’re using a DJ it probably isn’t worth the effort, I did it when starting mead in a bucket. I’ve never made fruit wine so can’t comment there.

Latest posts

Back