Degassing via vacuum

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Harry Bloomfield

Regular.
Reaction score
I'm still waiting for my first batch of white wine to complete its fermentation. Started seven days ago today and I have been looking at methods to degas. Generating a vacuum in the FV seems the most effective method to my mind, so I'm looking at possible ways to create a vacuum.

General opinion seems to be that a vacuum cleaner's level of suction is not enough to be effective. In my garage I have one of those cheap as chips, 12v tyre inflaters/compressors, which as sat there unused for years because I have a big mains compressor. Where there is compression, there is suction and these things are capable of 125PSI - so if the intake can be tamed, it should produce much more than needed.....

This explains how such a cheap compressor can be modified, to make a intake / vacuum port.

Yes I saw that idea, but I fancied vacuum should be even more effective - besides I like faffing about with things...

I have just opened up my little compressor and its quite similar to the one in the youtube video, except it has two output ports - one for the tyre pipe and a second one for a pressure gauge. Rather than struggle to fit that too big brass nipple to make an inlet port, I used a 2" length of copper brake pipe, which I abraded to get good adhesion with some Araldite. Even the brake pipe was a little too wide to fit, so I had to squeeze it a little to get it flat down onto the cylinder head. I have now wait 24 hours for the Araldite to set up, before I can put it back together to test it.

I wasn't thinking of using quite that much vacuum :-)

While the video is taking it to extremes there is a danger a vacuum could cause thin walled DJ's to implode, i noticed when i bought a new one a while ago how much lighter they are compared to my old ones so they must be a lot thinner, be careful out there!

Last edited:
Chippy your dead right.Putting a vaccum pump on a demijohn is dangerous.Even if the demijohn could take it the wine would foam over. Sorry its not a good idea.

Chippy your dead right.Putting a vaccum pump on a demijohn is dangerous.Even if the demijohn could take it the wine would foam over. Sorry its not a good idea.

You do it in stages, using just a little vacuum in each stage to prevent there being too much foaming. The last thing you want is a mass of foam in the pump.

I just use a cordless drill (So there is no mains voltage involved) The wand i use is just plastic so am keeping my eye open for a nice stainless one.

RE:> Harry sorry i dont think its a good idea not in a demijohn anyway.Demijohns these days are like eggs you arnt even supposed to put hot water in them.

You can buy a hand operated vacuum pump off ebay.

I pump until it starts bubbling, then wait for it to stop, then repeat. I'm cautious about how much vacuum I pull on a demijon. Kind of a cool process.

All the Best,
D. White

The first time i ever really properly degassed a wine was a Solomon Grundy 7 day wine kit about 20 yrs ago.
The method stuck with me and i have degassed ever since.

I remember shaking the DJ as instructed when I first started, I made a degassing wand soon after.

Being an ex refrigeration engineer I have a vacuum pump and gauges etc. A shraeder valve fits nicely into the air lock bung so I though I’d give it a go. I can confirm that the plastic 25lt FV collapsed inwards and the wine lost very little co2. Hmmm I won’t be using that method again. I’ve found that 5 or 6 transfers from one vessel to another at height is usually enough to degas.

Being an ex refrigeration engineer I have a vacuum pump and gauges etc. A shraeder valve fits nicely into the air lock bung so I though I’d give it a go. I can confirm that the plastic 25lt FV collapsed inwards and the wine lost very little co2. Hmmm I won’t be using that method again. I’ve found that 5 or 6 transfers from one vessel to another at height is usually enough to degas.

Always wondered how bad that would oxidize the wine? I'm sure it's effective though.

Can’t say I’ve noticed any difference in the taste compared to using a spoon. Then again I’ve only had the wine sitting in the bottles for a month but it still tasted ok

I would have thought that pouring from a height would introduce a lot of air (oxygen)?

I try to minimise the introduction of oxygen when racking wine into bottles, but when a red has been opened ready for drinking, I decant it deliberately pouring from a height to introduce oxygen. That process does seem to improve the taste.

Latest posts

Back