Demijohn colour

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Luvabeer

Reaction score
hi all
I’ve done two beautiful ale kits from Wilko triple hops a ipa an a red ale. 4% my a**e
Anyway back to the intended thread. Although I’m a novice I’m going to give some wine a go not for myself but for the boss of the house. So I’ve aquired some demijohns. Question two are white an two are brown? Is there any reason for demijohn colour.
Any advice much appreciated

Hi, ive got some clear and brown demi johns. The brown ones are good as no light can spoil the wine but you cant see whats going on in there, regards clearing etc maybe look at your brewing procedure with regards to racking etc and use as apropriate.Ive only done one wine kit ,a 6 bottle California conniseur cab sauv which turned out fantastic.,im planning to do a 30 bottle kit next as 6 bottles didn't last long.

The flavour of wines deteriorates greatly due to the breakdown of the wine in the bottle when exposed to UV light but if like me you store it in an under stair or kitchen cupboard coloured DJ's and bottles really are not needed they are also a bit of a PITA to use as you cannot see through them.

You may find this thread of interest -

How to make Supermarket Juice Wine http://www.thehomebrewforum.co.uk/showthread.php?t=49462

As said above, the brown ones are good for excluding light from red or delicately coloured wines. (Light can strip the colour from a red, making it somewhat un-appetising!) I quite often wrap clear ones in brown paper to keep the light out - Beetroot is a particular favourite!!!

Having said that - keep hold of the brown ones - they're as rare as hen's teeth. (I don't think that anyone makes them anymore.) I have also heard rumours that the traditional shaped clear ones days are numbered too...

In that case I will keep hold of the 10 clear ones i have i don't mind plastic FV's for 5 gallon wine kits but prefer clear glass when making my own.

Yep - Can't beat the traditional glass ones.
I've probably got between 30 and 40 (brown and clear mixed), but will now collect more as and when I see them.

(I haven't been able to source any for the shop for a couple of months now...)

Back