Demijohn double trouble

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Gwen

Supporting Member
Reaction score
I started a white wine today in a demijohn. About 10 minutes later I could see a small amount of liquid around the base of the demijohn on the tray. So I wiped it up thinking it was just the run off from the cleaning of it. Sat in the kitchen about 5 hours later I heard a glass sounding crack come from the other end of the table. Looking at the tray I could see liquid around the bottom of the demijohn and lifting it up I could see a crack at the base.

ashock1 Panic. Rushed to clean and sanitise another demi john and transfer it across. Sat down again and within 2 minutes I heard crack again. asad. Demijohn number 2 had a crack around the base. Worried to put it into another one so I have transferred it to a bucket. Lets hope I don't get up to a flooded floor in the morning.

Shame I don't have luck like that when I do the lottery.

Attachments

• IMG_20210608_174218.jpg
    IMG_20210608_174218.jpg
    40.6 KB · Views: 47
  • IMG_20210608_175108.jpg
    IMG_20210608_175108.jpg
    96 KB · Views: 47
How bizarre!
How old were the DJ's?
Have they been in use recently?
Were they in direct sunlight?

So many questions! Just seems really odd for two to go in such a short time span...

I have never heard of one DJ crack so to have two go on the same day is quite astonishing i would buy a lottery ticket for the weekend :laugh8:

As has been said probably best to bin the batch the risk of there being small shards of glass in the wine is too big to take, having said that and being tight git i would probably put some kind of material around the end of the syphon tube to make a filter of sorts then peg the end of the syphon tube a couple of inches above the bottom of the FV so as not to disturb the sediment and any small pieces of glass there may be in it.

How bizarre!
How old were the DJ's?
Have they been in use recently?
Were they in direct sunlight?

So many questions! Just seems really odd for two to go in such a short time span...

The first one I had had for a few years and not used for a while and the second one I had just bought 2 weeks ago second hand and had not used yet. No they had both come out of storage boxes.

but being tight o would probably put some kind of material around the end of the syphon tube to make a filter of sorts then peg the end of the syphon tube a couple of inches above the bottom of the FV so as not to disturb the sediment and any small pieces of glass there may be in it.
I have a wine filter 🤣

I have never heard of one DJ crack
I used to make garden cloches out of them years ago. On a cold day, using a funnel, pour in boiling water to the depth you want them to break at, and very carefully take them out into the cold, and "Hey Presto", they crack at exactly the depth of the water. (They used to sell at 3x the price of a demi-john!!!)

This has happened to me in the past when i have rinsed out the dj’s in hot water then cold rinsed, a crack develops which the manifests itself later. i am always sure to wash and rinse with tepid water now.

Latest posts

Back