Demijohn headspace

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Bon79

Reaction score
Have just finished a batch of Merlot, and decided to use demijohns rather than bottles. Managed to fill 3 right up to the neck, but the 4th is a little short - just above the point where the demijohn begins to curve towards the neck (the shoulder maybe??) Is this too much headspace, and if so, should I consider topping it up or bottling instead? Cheers.

If you are storing it for a while i would say yes, could i ask why you chose DJ's instead of bottles as you are going 5to have the same problem every time you take some out of the DJ's to drink.

Yeah - seemed like a good idea at the time! Just thought it might be easier to leave it conditioning in fewer containers really. Is water the best thing to use?Had heard of people using vodka.

Thought I could bottle each demijohn as I need it - now I think about it, probably more of a pain than just bottling straight off.

To be honest i would bottle the lot now even if its into 1.5 litre spring water bottles at least then you it in a more useable size container.

Thanks - have topped it up and will wait and see if I've managed to ruin it!! I think I'll stick with my plan and see how much hassle it turns out to be. If I bottle each demijohn into six bottles every now and then, it might be OK. Or not. Cheers for all the advice again.

Latest posts

Back