Desktop dining

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

How do you use your midday break?

• Prefer to be on my own.

• Browse internet.

• Spend time with colleagues.

• Eat at desk (or where you work)

• Social media.

• Admin/errands.

• Shopping.

• Exercise.

• Online gaming.

Results are only viewable after voting.
I bet they got more out of the work force long term though...
I remember going for after work drinks about 30 years ago when I worked at a supermarket. We stayed late to get some stock out and the manager took us for a beer when we finished...he paid and we all got a bit ******. He decided to give whoever he could stuff into his car a lift home. During the lift home at a bit too ****** and a bit too fast he got pulled...and was advised to drive a bit slower....

It was a work hard / play hard environment to be honest. I was paid to work Mon - Fri 8 till 6 but would often work 12/14 hour days, and be available on my mobile 24/7, and go in on a weekend at a drop of a hat (for no extra pay). There were also days when people would come into work and immediately creep into the air conditioned server room and sleep off an all night bender. Not me, obviously, I was a good boy who didn't drink to excess.

I remember when I was in the YTP in the late 80's(Youth Training Program) we were Shop Stewards for ATGWU and the first in the UK for a training program.
We had our own little office which tutors seldom ventured into and there was always a half bottle of whiskey on the go Friday morning after payday.
When I was an apprentice electrician we would meet in the local on a Friday to get paid with a few rounds,pool,and a few late nights.
How I miss being young...

I should really get back into the habit of going out for a walk during my lunch break. Got a bit lazy and usually spend it on the Internet whilst eating a sandwich at my desk.

There was an obituary in The Times yesterday for a guy called Fred Owen, who was described as "Former messenger boy at The Times who became its circulation manager and made the most of long, liquid lunches". He handed in his notice once Rupert Murdoch took over the Times, but it sounds like he had a good 1970s....." Owen was known around the office for his affability....... Owen was also known for his bibulousness. So long and liquid were his lunches that at the end of the day his secretary would take him to Waterloo station, board the train with him, wake him up at the end of the journey, then return."

They don't make secretaries like that these days.....

I worked in IT from the '70's onwards. Liquid lunches were par for the course. I once had to demo a new accounts system we'd built to an accounts manager at instant notice on a friday afternoon. I'd drunk 6 pints and stunk of beer and was slurring (body chemistry - 6 pints at night, just getting started, squeezed into a lunch break, not so good). i had a packet of '70's turkish fags someone had brought back (200 fags allowance days) so I had the brilliant idea I'd chain smoke turkish fags as i demo'd the system to hide the smell of booze (plus the fag hanging out of my mouth would hide the slurring). I actually got away with it - it was a good system to be fair. On the faint chance anyone from those days is still alive and on this forum - Findus foods, grimsby, 1978-1981. [they started there in the '60's 'cause of the fish industry - then the cod wars and EU membership and selling fishing rights and - oh, I'm depressing myself; good decade to be drunk at work though]

Latest posts

Back