Desktop dining

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

How do you use your midday break?

• Prefer to be on my own.

• Browse internet.

• Spend time with colleagues.

• Eat at desk (or where you work)

• Social media.

• Admin/errands.

• Shopping.

• Exercise.

• Online gaming.

Results are only viewable after voting.

Chippy_Tea

Administrator.
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Todays BBC article made me wonder how forum members spend their lunch breaks (Dinner break for us Northerners) mine is usually in the cab on my own, i will add the same answer as below you have three votes each.
https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-47494518

ddddddddddddd.png

I'll just browse the internet, read things on here... But that's no different to the rest of my day lol. Life's hard when you finish your work within 2 hours of starting. It's difficult pretending to work.

Hang on - wheres pub, people have fought hard for the dinner break. For me its always 3 or 4 pints. Maybe some crisps or scratchings if flush.

I doubt (these days) there are many businesses that allow staff to drinking alcohol on their midday break, my last non driving job didn't and it was mentioned at interview. (and that was a few years ago)

I work from home,so lunch break is usually make a sandwich And take the dogs for a walk across the fields and eat me nosh on my favourite stone wall overlooking the Calder valley

eat me nosh on my favourite stone wall overlooking the Calder valley

I get to overlook pools of p**s in the lay-by where i park, i always cringe at weekends when i see tourists sitting on their foldaway chairs behind their cars drinking a cup of tea/coffee do they not realise a lay-by is basically a truck drivers toilet. sick...

Sit with the guys either outside in the sun or inside the tap room. Share the occasion interesting beer (like one or two split between 4-5 of us for research purposes), swap lunch items, maybe somebody has made some bread, made something interesting to eat like a cake, sometimes play darts, bit of snooker, playstation or a board game. When the chips are down nobody is getting a sit down lunch, but when everything is going smoothly and everybody is pulling their weight the trade off is we have a really nice one.

I normally dont have a lunch break as such. Sometimes I'll take an hours break inbetween clients. I'll usually go to a coffee shop for an Americano and my kindle

I doubt (these days) there are many businesses that allow staff to drinking alcohol on their midday break, my last non driving job didn't and it was mentioned at interview. (and that was a few years ago)

Want to get yourself down to that London. Red Lion packed today with folks wearing their work lanyards guzzling wine, spirits and ales. Everyone from secretaries, to senior professionals, painter decorators, security guards.

One office I worked in was literally next door to a pub. Very easy to go there and drink 3 pints in a 1 hour lunchtime (especially if your manager was buying!). Afternoon wasn't so productive though. :laugh8:

I doubt (these days) there are many businesses that allow staff to drinking alcohol on their midday break,
I worked at one place where the social club bar was in the building and did a roaring trade at lunchtime. :beer1:
One office I worked in was literally next door to a pub. Very easy to go there and drink 3 pints in a 1 hour lunchtime (especially if your manager was buying!). Afternoon wasn't so productive though. :laugh8:
I worked at another placed a few years back where one manager would round up his people to go down the pub. When he wasnt in the office no-one bothered that much. But the Friday lunchtime drinking culture, where folks stayed down the pub until mid afternoon or sometimes never came back, was so bad that in the end the company shuffled the working week from 5 days to 4 and a half slightly longer days with a lunchtime finish on Friday.

One office I worked in was literally next door to a pub. Very easy to go there and drink 3 pints in a 1 hour lunchtime (especially if your manager was buying!). Afternoon wasn't so productive though.

I worked at one place where the social club bar was in the building and did a roaring trade at lunchtime.

Back in the day we used to go to the bank on a Friday midday break to collect our wages (before we went monthly pay) we used to have a couple of pints and something to eat then back to work in the shipyard working equipment that could kill you, i have no doubt some places still allow drinking at lunchtime but i bet many many more now don't.

Want to get yourself down to that London. Red Lion packed today with folks wearing their work lanyards guzzling wine, spirits and ales. Everyone from secretaries, to senior professionals, painter decorators, security guards.
If that's the one on Eldon Street then I know what you mean!

If that's the one on Eldon Street then I know what you mean!

Oof memo to self - Foxbat knows too much. Must be tons of Red Lions in London but yes indeed was that one. Tell me your not a regular...

If I'm out and about, lunch will be in my car parked up somewhere. If I'm working from home, I'll make my lunch and eat it properly in the kitchen.

In the 90's, when I first started out in IT, my gaffer rang me one lunchtime to ask why I wasn't in meeting room 5 with the rest of the team. Turned it it was a country boozer not to far from one of our offices. We had long, long meetings in there some days. Taxi home types of thing. Nothing like that would be tolerated these days.

I bet they got more out of the work force long term though...
I remember going for after work drinks about 30 years ago when I worked at a supermarket. We stayed late to get some stock out and the manager took us for a beer when we finished...he paid and we all got a bit ******. He decided to give whoever he could stuff into his car a lift home. During the lift home at a bit too ****** and a bit too fast he got pulled...and was advised to drive a bit slower....

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back