Devil you know versus Devil you don't.

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dwhite60

Landlord.
Reaction score
All-grain brewer for 20+ years. Just brewed up a cream ale yesterday.

I received a Coopers Real Ale Kit to put together so I can form my own opinions about kit quality and results. Haven't done a canned kit in a long, long time. I expect they've improved. Not expecting all-grain results but hoping to not be disappointed.

Actually sitting here looking at the can a touch intimidated. ☺ Think I'm just going to do it by the can instructions to see what the real results are.

I usually do 10 to 12 liter batches. Now having to dig out the old, big bucket to make this in. Having to get a "Cool Brewing" jacket to put the big fermenter in as it won't fit my chill box..

Enjoy a lot less work involved with kits and every one regards coopers as good except for me done 2 and didnt really think it was worth it done an ale and pilsner but thats just me pilsner took nearly 4 weeks to finish

I made up the Real Ale kit a number of times. Initially I liked it but then went off it. I found it quite bitter and a strange sort of fruitiness. That said you might enjoy it. But don't brew it with all dextrose use at least 50% malt.
But if you have some grain somewhere why not try this
Simple kit plus mini-mash method to improve a kit - The HomeBrew Forum

I have the Festival Summer Ale (Elderflower) and the Young’s American IPA kits to brew, I need to finish this bloody fence first, can’t even get a kit on!
Hope it turns out ok for you mate

Enjoy a lot less work involved with kits and every one regards coopers as good except for me done 2 and didnt really think it was worth it done an ale and pilsner but thats just me pilsner took nearly 4 weeks to finish

I've read through the kit forums quite a bit. The Coopers kits do seem to get the better reviews of the canned kits. That's why I went with Coopers.

Periodically, being able to put something together in less than and hour would be nice.

I've got light DME and dextrose to go with it. Might brew it short to 20 liters or so.

Back