Dextrine malt for head retention

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I just use malted wheat for head retention, never fails with or without crystal. I've never used any dextrine or cara malts or torrified wheat for that matter - what's all the fuss about?

Surely Cara in the name of Carapils is a give away that it’s a Caramel/Crystal malt.
No, Carapils malt and dextrin malt are not the same. Carapils malt is a specialty malt made from barley that has been dehusked and then roasted at a low temperature to produce a unique dextrin-style malt.

I just use malted wheat for head retention, never fails with or without crystal. I've never used any dextrine or cara malts or torrified wheat for that matter - what's all the fuss about?
Some use wheat malt others torrified wheat, flaked wheat, flaked barley, barley malt all are good for head and retention. As for saying you don't use any dextrin, that is present in all beers. I believe more so at higher mash temperatures.
There maybe a supposition that dextrin doesn't add anything but I would suggest that dextrin malt is made due to the high demand, if the demand wasn't there then why would maltsters bother making it?

Some use wheat malt others torrified wheat, flaked wheat, flaked barley, barley malt all are good for head and retention. As for saying you don't use any dextrin, that is present in all beers. I believe more so at higher mash temperatures.
There maybe a supposition that dextrin doesn't add anything but I would suggest that dextrin malt is made due to the high demand, if the demand wasn't there then why would maltsters bother making it?

So personal choice, personal preference at play. Do the big breweries demand dextrin to avoid having to step at a higher mash temp for certain styles?

Last edited:
Hmmmm.this is a conundrum! My batch of HB bitter has been moved to the shed and I've just tried one..
Crystal clear,carbed and just the right head retention and lacing for a bitter. Tastes pretty good too...

So personal choice, personal preference at play. Do the big breweries demand dextrin to avoid having to step at a higher mash temp for certain styles?
Not sure how the bigger breweries go about formulating their mash temperatures. The big commercials have everything down pat. To save room on fermenter space they brew big and water down, hops are often added, not sure before fermentation or just after by way of essence or oils.
For me I have confidence in dextrin malt, may mean nothing or it may well be that enhances my beer. A bit like some may wear their Reg Grundy's back to front while brewing, just a confidence booster.

Latest posts

Back