Dextrine malt for head retention

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
What your English bitter should look like, low carbonation, good head retention and good lacing. 4% dextrin malt, dough in with crystal malt at mash out.
View attachment 50850View attachment 50852
No traditional brewery over here that I've toured or spoken with uses Dextrin malt in their bitter. It's all pale or pale + crystal. Basically GW has it right in his BYOBRA book.

Last edited:
highly recommend a 20 minute glycoprotein rest at 72c at the end of your mash.
Thanks - as it happens, I turned out to do a 72° rest at the end of my London Bitter yesterday although it was more like 10mins. I was planning to do a mash-out but got fed up waiting for the temperature to rise wink...

I tend to think that head retention is a multiple cause thing. Grain, hops and yeast all contribute, I think. Yeast health and strain don't get mentioned much, but I believe yeast and fermentation are important factors in beer health generally, including head formation and retention.

Dextrin malt doesn't do anything but maybe add a tiny bit of caramel flavor. That's it.

If you want body and/or head retention, you need to use wheat or rye. Flaked is a little better than the malt, but either one will do. I usually use the malt because it's easier. Figure 10-15% of the total grist.

The glycoprotein rest was a favorite of the late, great George Fix. I use it in most of my lager beers.

I was sceptical until someone presented me with two beers that tasted near identical, but the head retention was markedly better on one. They'd been made the same way on an all in one system, with the only difference being a 20 minutes glycoprotein rest.

I do it for most of my beers now.

Dextrin malt doesn't do anything but maybe add a tiny bit of caramel flavor. That's it.

If you want body and/or head retention, you need to use wheat or rye. Flaked is a little better than the malt, but either one will do. I usually use the malt because it's easier. Figure 10-15% of the total grist.
Dextrin malt doesn't add any colour or flavour to the beer. It just increases body, mouthfeel and head retention. All the maltsters produce a dextrin malt of some sort, if it didn't do anything there would be no demand and therefore no production.
Flaked wheat and rye contain dextrins just not as much, that is why you would need a larger percentage for the same effect.

Last edited:
My latest wheat beer which is about 50/50 pilsner/wheat malt has carbed up nicely but the couple I've tried seem to have virtually zero head retention. I wonder why?

Is it light on hops? They are greatly foam positive.

Found some interesting reading regarding wheat and head retention.
Using more wheat doesn't automatically guarantee more or better head retention or a cloudier beer. Increasing from say,20% to 40% will have the opposite effect. Adding some flaked barley to the grist sorts it out.

Found some interesting reading regarding wheat and head retention.
Using more wheat doesn't automatically guarantee more or better head retention or a cloudier beer. Increasing from say,20% to 40% will have the opposite effect. Adding some flaked barley to the grist sorts it out.
This may help you Clint.

I'm curious what you have noticed that is better? Also what is your step regimen?

Head formation and retention is the main one, also attenuation is a bit better, which helps increase malt flavours.

I usually do a rest around 64c for 45mins, 73c for 30 mins then mashout at 78c.

Although sometimes mash in about 55c then immediately raise it to 64c - you get less doughballs this way, although I don't tend to get too many as I underlet

also for hefeweizens I always do the ferulic acid rest too at 45c for 20mins or so

Head formation and retention is the main one, also attenuation is a bit better, which helps increase malt flavours.

I usually do a rest around 64c for 45mins, 73c for 30 mins then mashout at 78c.

Although sometimes mash in about 55c then immediately raise it to 64c - you get less doughballs this way, although I don't tend to get too many as I underlet

also for hefeweizens I always do the ferulic acid rest too at 45c for 20mins or so
Interesting thanks for the comment. I have always done them 50-60-67-78 or some variation I never thought to do a step between 67 and mashout. I will give it a shot next brew.

Back