Dextrine malt for head retention

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
If a beer's carbonated, even to a low level, it should keep a head. Have you thought about your glass? The slightest remnant of detergent will destroy the head. If that doesn't fix it then stop wearing lipstick while drinking beer.
It's a good point about the detergent.
Talking of beer glasses, it reminds me that the other day we were sitting in my friend's back garden sampling my pilsner. When poured all the beers had a decent head, but we noticed that it was lasting much longer in one glass (a 'proper' Belgian beer glass) than it was in the others. Looking closely, we realised this was because it had a sharp pointed 'star' design etched in the bottom of the glass. This was acting as a nucleation centre, and creating steady stream of bubbles which kept the head topped from below. Interesting!

I looked this up and it's definitely a 'thing': What is the purpose of an etched glass?

Edit: I checked my beer glasses and found something similar in the base of this 'Chimay' one:

IMG_6001.jpeg
IMG_6002.jpeg

Last edited:
Got this issue again with a batch of Hazelwood Brewery best bitter..its carbed and crystal clear but the head disappears instantly.
The usual culprits for this are either a stressed fermentation (but you can taste that), or some kind of contaminant on your equipment or glasses.

If it’s hit and miss it might be the former. If it’s consistent then I’d think about anywhere some grease or other contaminants might be getting into your beer.

When I was early on in my brewing I had the soft drink head for every beer. I tracked it down to me using a kitchen pan for making my priming sugar solution. It was leaving a trace amount of grease in the beer, which was killing the head. I bought a cheap stainless pan for brewing duties and the problem went away.

I’ve also found that glasses that have come out of the dishwasher within a few hours will do the same. I assume it’s the rinse aid left on the glasses that takes time to break down. A quick rinse of the glass fixes this.

I use the same stainless pan to prepare the sugar for carbonation but other batches are totally fine. Last night's samples were taken to a friends house. The glass was gleaming but could have been just out of the dishwasher...who knows??

Another things that is commonly overlooked is the equipment you use to clean your brew kit. Reusing kitchen sponges for cleaning at the end of your brew day can leave traces of grease/detergent on your equipment. The same goes with bottle brushes.

I keep my brewing sponges/brushes separate from the kitchen.

It's probably not the cause of Clint's lack of head, but thought it worth mentioning

A note on beer clean glasses. To check cleanliness of glasses rinse with water and dump excess water out. Hold glass at about a 45-degree angle and sprinkle salt down the insides all around.
Anywhere the salt doesn't stick needs to be cleaned and has oil or grease. You can use the salt to clean the glass by rubbing it around using a cloth or paper towel. Don't use your fingers because of the oil on your hands. I do this to glasses that come out of the dishwasher just in case there is some spot free rinse aid on them.
cheers

Got this issue again with a batch of Hazelwood Brewery best bitter..its carbed and crystal clear but the head disappears instantly.
For a bitter which has a foam negative additive, 'crystal malt', it is worth adding a dextrin malt or torrified wheat. For me this is what reverses the negative effect of the crystal, also don't overcarb. Why? I just have a feeling that over carbonation doesn't result in good head and lacing. Could be because I don't like highly carbonated beers and always bang my glass on the table to evacuate the co2

For a bitter which has a foam negative additive, 'crystal malt', it is worth adding a dextrin malt or torrified wheat. For me this is what reverses the negative effect of the crystal, also don't overcarb. Why? I just have a feeling that over carbonation doesn't result in good head and lacing. Could be because I don't like highly carbonated beers and always bang my glass on the table to evacuate the co2
Dextrin malt IS a crystal malt. As I said in #29 previously, you would be better off with wheat. Torrified wheat would be good for this. Also, don't overlook rye, which is even more foam positive than wheat.

Back