Diacetyl problem

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mutznutz

Reaction score
Unfortunately I have a kit (mangrove jacks Munich Lager with Cali Lager M54 yeasty) brew with diacetyl, stupidly because it was a slow starter and I was unsure it was actually fermenting I didn’t know when to start diacetyl rest, now I have bottled and 2 weeks later still has that diacetyl buttery (not nice) taste, is there anything I can do?... chuck it all back into a bucket and chuck the kit yeast and add sugar?.... whilst in bottles increase the temp higher?.... leave it?.... throw it?

Thanks in advance and sorry if there is a thread that has gone over this!

I would just leave it be. Too much trouble to throw it back, will probably just oxidize the beer. Just start brewing a new beer in the mean time and see if this one tastes better in a few weeks or months.

Unfortunately I have a kit (mangrove jacks Munich Lager with Cali Lager M54 yeasty) brew with diacetyl, stupidly because it was a slow starter and I was unsure it was actually fermenting I didn’t know when to start diacetyl rest, now I have bottled and 2 weeks later still has that diacetyl buttery (not nice) taste, is there anything I can do?... chuck it all back into a bucket and chuck the kit yeast and add sugar?.... whilst in bottles increase the temp higher?.... leave it?.... throw it?

Did you know ...

"But some brewers desire their beer to contain diacetyl in the final product. For example, Red Hook ESB has a characteristic diacetyl taste. "

"Chuck It" is akin to "Throw Money Away" so I recommend that you leave it alone, let it condition and if the diacetyl taste remains explain the taste to everyone and quote the above! Here'e the source of the information ...

https://www.whitelabs.com/sites/default/files/Diacetyl_Time_Line.pdf

Enjoy.:gulp:

My last kit (Love Brewing Southern Gold Digger) before switching to grain had (I think) this. I was still in my early days of learning (still am). I think my mistake was following the instructions which recommended a temperature of 20degrees. But it came with a lager yeast (I don't know what yeast they use and it doesn't say on the pack but I wouldn't be surprised if it is repackaged mangrove jacks because that's the only yeast they sell in the shop).

Their kits are good but their instructions blow chunks.

I think it was diacetyl but definitely a very unpleasant toffee yeasty taste. I admit I decided to drain half the batch after struggling through the first 20 pints: aside from the cost I needed the bottles back. Painful but sometimes you've got to write off mistakes.

Latest posts

Back