Diacetyl rest in a keg

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Hi,

I have a lager that's been in the FV for getting close to a month and it's nearly ready to warm up a bit to carry out the diacetyl rest stage.

However, it's in a glass carboy and I'm very wary of moving this around given how fragile they can be.

Can I rack this to a corny keg, purge the air in the headspace, then bring indoors for a few days? Ideally, I'd like to then stick it in the fridge in my garage for another month to lager properly, but I'm concerned that the final part of the fermentation process might create more trub in the keg, leaving me with cloudy beer...

Anyone have any experience of this?

It could be too late for a diacetyl rest as you are meant to do it around three quarters of the way through fermnentation. I have been leaving mine 2 weeks before doing one and it seems to work for me but apparently its dependent on strain. Its also possible you don't have any diacetyl and you don,t need to do one. I still have much to learn on lagers but if you cant taste it don't worry. You could check though by doing a force diacetyl test. Info here

Thanks BeerCat.

I've read that the d-rest is to be done for a few days right at the end of fermentation, rather than 3/4 of the way through.

I'll have a go at that test once I've converted idiot units into metric ;)

Back