Did a "Turbo Cider" today ... "In-Cider"

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Wez

Landlord.
Reaction score
I did a very basic TC for the Mrs today, 4.5L T*sco Apple Juice and 1 sachet of Youngs Cider yeast - Done! (1.045)

It was bubbling after 15 mins :shock:

And now 2 hrs later has a good head on top and is glugging away nicely :thumb:

I'm planning on doing a few different TC's for her to stash away for Christmas I'd like to try do do some with another fruit twist - cranberry maybe :hmm: what are other peoples experience when dabbling in the dark art of TC?

I'd be very interested in the outcome.... Took me ages to find out that TC = Turbo Cider. Who on earth came up with that?! :?

Purely a sideline, you understand, to the proper business of all grain shiny brewing! :cool:

Turbo Ciders rock!

and to date the TC i did with Gardener's pure apple concentrate create the best cider i and the mrs have drunk to date :thumb:

Im a big fan of Tesco Value TC with youngs cider yeast. 20L in a fermenter throw in yeast leave for 10 days and keg it brite. carbonate at 10C / 10psi. Leave it another 2 weeks to rest and its better than anything you will get commercially
I also like to do it with champagne yeast which makes it taste slightly cleaner and dryer and if I slightly over carbonate it and serve it at around 8Cits a bloody lvely Pint.
I did a test batch with just cranberry and I have to say that was just too sharp but it was fruity. Mayby a combination of apple and Cranberry would be nice

TC is evil nasty stuff. IMO. It messed me up on numerous occasions. But mine were the first things i ever brewed. So i'm tempted to have another go. Especially as i have a sachet of yeast that could do with being used...
I found the champagne yeast was too dry for me. I also prefer my cider almost flat. And cloudy. :thumb:

champagne yeast i have to agree with MEB on...way too dry and thinned out the cider too much :sick:

Safale 04 did a lovely job on mine... it reached a respectable 6.5% and left some residual apple flavours and smells in the brew... was lurvely :drink: :drink: :drink: :drunk: :drunk: :drunk:

The biggest problem with doing TC here is apple juice cost more than a cider kit. And the blackrock cider kit is pretty good...

it cost me £12 for 24 litres of Gardeners apple Juice (was 100% extra free 2L cartons), 95p for the yeast. and that was lovely

it cost £12.99 for a kit cider i did a couple of weeks back, and that was nasty :sick: but in desperation i still drunk it :lol:

oh and forgot to add, the TC was crystal clear and the kit refused to clear :( never doing a kit cider again

Costs 50 bucks for 24L apple juice. Costs 30 bucks for blackrock cider kit and 1 kg dextrose. No comparison really.

Out of all the kits i've done the blackrock cider was easily the best. I've done it a few times. I like it. Good appley taste and clears superbly. I can't fault it really.

Back