Did we find wild hops?

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

AntComo

Reaction score
Hi guys!

So we were collecting elderberries from a neighbours garden earlier today (with him, we aren't animals :D) and the missus spotted a curious plant growing up the side of someone else garage. It looked like hops, and I've never seen them in the wild before.

They don't smell of anything, but some are much larger than others so perhaps they're still young. Did we find hops or something else? I wonder if they're useable...

luppolo1.jpg

luppolo3-e1566672757755.jpg

luppolo2-e1566672848500.jpg

Yep, thems hops. Currently the ones I nab were tiny the other day and much bigger after 3 days but they won't be filled with lovely hoppy goodness for a fair while yet.

Yep, thems hops. Currently the ones I nab were tiny the other day and much bigger after 3 days but they won't be filled with lovely hoppy goodness for a fair while yet.

Great! I'll do a bit of research, but are they generally all useful for brewing? And when is the harvesting period?

I think hops are hops and most wild ones will be Goldings, of some description. Harvesting will be when they look very much like the ones in your pictures.

They're ready when they're losing their greenness and feel dryish, but not dried out. When you rub them between your hands, the aroma should be quite intense and they'll leave pollen and a kind of oiliness on your palms. The best way to use them is to throw loads of them into your boil for the last minute. In any case, use them straight away as they're quite hard to keep.

Back