Dilly Dilly!!

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I'm currently drinking the last few bottles of 1864 Lovibond XB pale ale I made out of the Ron Pattinson book. Wasn't expecting much as it's just pale malt with 3 goldings additions at 90, 60 and 30 minutes. But in fact it's really nice with quite a lot of hop aroma much to my surprise. If something so simple can be so nice I wonder what is the point of all those expensive speciality malts and extorsionate American hops...

I'm currently drinking the last few bottles of 1864 Lovibond XB pale ale I made out of the Ron Pattinson book. Wasn't expecting much as it's just pale malt with 3 goldings additions at 90, 60 and 30 minutes. But in fact it's really nice with quite a lot of hop aroma much to my surprise. If something so simple can be so nice I wonder what is the point of all those expensive speciality malts and extorsionate American hops...
IBU 83? That's quite a lot for such an ale, is it not too bitter?

I've had that epiphany. That's the beauty of homebrewing though isn't it? Always something to learn, yet we have the freedom to approach things both ways. The interesting thing about those old recipes, is they challenged many assertions made with modern techniques. 1) That it doesn't matter what bittering hop we use, that they give bitterness and flavour, and 2) mid-boil additions are a waste of hops. I now don't use any old hop for bittering or use just late additions in recipes, even in American IPAs.

Sent from my E5823 using Tapatalk

Do you mind me asking which pale malt you used for this one? It's on my to do list, and always wonder with these historic recipes which modern pale malt would work best.

Do you mind me asking which pale malt you used for this one? It's on my to do list, and always wonder with these historic recipes which modern pale malt would work best

Oh I just used what I had which I think is maris otter. Don't actually know as to get it in my cupboard I split the sack into freezer bags with 8Lb in each. I think Pattinson says that's not accurate historically as it's kilned at too high a temperature. Wouldn't surprise me as the beer was not as pale as I expected. So probably sweeter than it should be too. Very nice though.

IBU 83? That's quite a lot for such an ale, is it not too bitter?

No, it's not too bitter which makes me wonder about his IBU figures. In fact it's less bitter than the Greg Hughes IPA I regularly make which is 60 IBU.

Oh I just used what I had which I think is maris otter. Don't actually know as to get it in my cupboard I split the sack into freezer bags with 8Lb in each. I think Pattinson says that's not accurate historically as it's kilned at too high a temperature. Wouldn't surprise me as the beer was not as pale as I expected. So probably sweeter than it should be too. Very nice though.

No, it's not too bitter which makes me wonder about his IBU figures. In fact it's less bitter than the Greg Hughes IPA I regularly make which is 60 IBU.

You know by any chance how large the batches are in Vintage Beers? 19 or 23?

It's 23. Says somewhere obscure. I did a smaller brew and scaled the recipe down. Hit the OG almost spot on, and the FG. I used Gervin yeast which apparently is a reasonable substitute.

Latest posts

Back