Dilly Dilly!!

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Personally, I hate the advert almost as much as the beer..

I do recall, however, that the phrase "Dilly-Dilly" featured in the Marillion hit "Lavender" back in the '80's!

Ironically enough, the beverage which is dismissed by the bloke in charge sounds far more interesting that the terrible drink being advertised.

Agreed! I think that drinking something like Bud light is just a waste of people's lives. just pretend you had one when you next go to the loo and you would have had the experience without the disappointment - Dilly Dilly.

I don't watch TV that much so just had to look up the adverts on YouTube. Coors Light seem to be sponsoring "Comedy on 4" - at least on the on demand service - and that comes with an advert of some weird mullet-headed bloke in unfashionably stonewashed double-denim. I've still not understood quite what the advert is trying to do or who its appealing to.

Coors is a beer that I simply cannot drink.

I don't watch TV that much so just had to look up the adverts on YouTube. Coors Light seem to be sponsoring "Comedy on 4" - at least on the on demand service - and that comes with an advert of some weird mullet-headed bloke in unfashionably stonewashed double-denim. I've still not understood quite what the advert is trying to do or who its appealing to.

Yeah but Jean Claude Van Damme is a legend! https://www.google.com/url?sa=t&sou...DZgQyCkIHjAA&usg=AOvVaw0gNNpIWgsSFkGrQPEYnb2j

My missus travelled to Chicago early this year for a relative's wedding. They kept saying "Dilly Dilly" when drinking, and having not seen the advert she didn't know what they meant, and they kept asking if we said it over here! They didn't realise it was just a made up phrase.
Perfect marketing....... most marketing is a lie and most people believe marketing! Job done!

marillion should sue.... ?

or for totp fans....

and that comes with an advert of some weird mullet-headed bloke in unfashionably stonewashed double-denim. I've still not understood quite what the advert is trying to do or who its appealing to.

As someone said earlier, it's the Muscles from Brussels, Van Damage. Sad how he's gone from world champion kickboxer to this.

Love that song Dad of Jon! Always though that Marillion sounded like early Genesis who I also loved - great to hear it again - and yes he should Sue!!

About 15 years go I overhead a conversation between a Brit and an American sitting behind me on a coach. The Brit was trying to be appreciative about American culture, and mentioned that his favourite beer was Budweiser, but the American was having none of it. He told the Brit that one of the reasons for Budweiser's commercial success was that they had developed a process for making a product that could legally be sold as "beer" in just 5 days. Might not be true of course, maybe he was just passing on something he'd also overheard, but it does seem a lot like the beer equivalent of the Chorleywood bread making process, which reduced the time required to make "bread" to something like an hour.

Talking of nightmare beers, does anyone else remember that about 20 years ago there was press coverage of a beer which would be distributed in syrup form, and which the pub would reconstitute using fizzy water, the same as they already do with soft drinks? Did that ever happen?

Last edited:
Love that song Dad of Jon! Always though that Marillion sounded like early Genesis who I also loved - great to hear it again - and yes he should Sue!!

I like 'em both to, and phil collins genesis - script for a jesters tear, fuzagi and misplaced childhood have to get them on my usb stick for a long trip to the airport, most marillion songs are longer than a quick trip to the shops and it would be rude not to listen to such masterpieces in their entirety. as for suing, su-su-sudio? :laugh8:

Drinking Bud, coors and the like is like making love in a boat...f*cking close to water....

The thing is they have limited avenues to explore with their one dimensional product...it's bud this,bud that,bud the other....but essentially it's still bud...made cheaply that doesn't really taste that much different to....bud...because their target market or usual consumers expect it to taste ...the same.
A very small drop in % market to the big boys is serious business and I think as stated the micro brewery revolution is chipping away at their margins...
Will they bring out a bud ale or a craft bud or a dry hopped bud? They'd be stupid not to...look at Guinness....they've diversified..

The thing is they have limited avenues to explore with their one dimensional product...it's bud this,bud that,bud the other....but essentially it's still bud...made cheaply that doesn't really taste that much different to....bud...because their target market or usual consumers expect it to taste ...the same.
A very small drop in % market to the big boys is serious business and I think as stated the micro brewery revolution is chipping away at their margins...
Will they bring out a bud ale or a craft bud or a dry hopped bud? They'd be stupid not to...look at Guinness....they've diversified..

But have you ever tried Hop House 13? It's 'meh' at best. All those different hops dont do anything for it. To get some of those micro brewery beer drinkers turning to them, would each into their profit margins too. Good beer cost money to make

I agree M...isn't hop house 13 full of galaxy.. hence the shortage!
I do know lager drinkers who think the 13 stuff is marvellous! True good beer costs money to make but on the grand scheme of things take brew dog..their beer is more expensive than bud but it's miles better! It does however take a while in some instances for the penny to drop and realise quantity doesn't always go with quality. I will also add the tastes of some of the new,I won't say craft,beers out there are full on smack in the gob stuff to the uninitiated but at the same time a revelation as to what can be made.

I agree M...isn't hop house 13 full of galaxy.. hence the shortage!
I do know lager drinkers who think the 13 stuff is marvellous! True good beer costs money to make but on the grand scheme of things take brew dog..their beer is more expensive than bud but it's miles better! It does however take a while in some instances for the penny to drop and realise quantity doesn't always go with quality. I will also add the tastes of some of the new,I won't say craft,beers out there are full on smack in the gob stuff to the uninitiated but at the same time a revelation as to what can be made.

I'm not sure what's in HH13. I agree, quanity doesnt alway equate quality. Balance equals quality IMO. I think we've all made or tried a really simple beer in the past and thought, Wow! This is good. I love a good pilsner. Essentially a lager version of a SMaSH

HH13 is supposed to have Galaxy in it but I can't tell from either aroma or taste!
But Guinness also do a Rye Pale and that West Indies Porter. I've also seen a Citra IPA in 330ml cans under their 'Open Gate Experimental Brewery' project

Latest posts

Back