Dinner or Tea? [poll]

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

When do you have dinner?

• Dinner time is midday we don't do lunch.

• Dinner time is later in the day we have lunch.

Results are only viewable after voting.

Chippy_Tea

Administrator.
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Up here we call Dinner the meal you have at 12:00 and Tea at 17:00, when do you have Dinner?

Why do Northerners call dinner tea?

The Upper Classes had a light afternoon tea at 4.30pm and dinner at 8.00pm. However; the working classes would come back from work and needed a large meal. They had dinner at the time when the upper classes were having afternoon tea, so called their dinner tea.

Last edited:
Was having a debate around this with the missus the other day.

To me dinner is the main meal of the day irrespective of whether it is taken at lunch or tea time, but as I've just typed that I've described the evening meal as tea so it's all a bit confusing.

The wife was saying she associates tea with a meal taken in the afternoon / evening consisting of sandwiches, cakes etc. so the upper class version, she's posher than me though ;)

We're both southerners, me from Essex, her from Oxfordshire.

And what is supper and when is that eaten?
I was brought up in the Midlands, and it was always dinner at dinner time (middle of the day) and tea at tea time.
However when I started work and slowly moved down to the south of England with work and used to eat a main meal in the evening it then became lunch and dinner. That said I volunteer with true 'southerners' and some of them refer to a mid-day meal as dinner!

We usually have the main meal at 17:00 (ish) during the week, at weekends we have the main meal at 12:00 (ish) we still call 12:00 dinner time whatever day it is.

To me dinner is the main meal of the day irrespective of whether it is taken at lunch or tea time, but as I've just typed that I've described the evening meal as tea so it's all a bit confusing.

This is my take on it. I usually say "lunch" and "tea", but if I was referring to "dinner" it would nearly always be tea because that's when my main meal is.

SWMBO reckons I'm wrong and that "dinner" is lunch.

Lunch at lunchtime and dinner in the evening. That's what we call it in our house on the SE coast.

For my family in NI we have lunch in the afternoon and tea at teatime. But if we aren't eating until later like 7pm or after it's dinner. @terrym supper is a cuppa and a bun before bed, well to me anyway.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

It's Friday, so up north it's gota be a trip tut chippy on't way one from work.
Just ask chippy tea

That will be "a trip tut chippy on't way ome from work" young man. :lol:

Chippy Tea Friday at 5 o'clock. :wink:

Eyup!
Breakfast, Dinner, Tea, Supper - in that order. Champion!

Well said that man, and that is why we are all fat barstewards up here. (non of that PC obese rubbish) :lol:

Edit to add -

We are not ALL fat as you know many of us have a whippets and they take some walking. :wink:

Somehow I don't think "yer dinner's oot" has quite the same aggressive ring to it.

Being from the north but living in the midlands I use them interchangeably which can be very confusing! I did spend my first few years living away trying to convince people that dinner is server around midday so deep down I know that'd definitely the right answer.

And what is supper and when is that eaten?
To some 'supper' can be a light version of 'dinner' served later in the evening.
Confusing eh wot?
However supper for me when I was young was a hot milky drink and, if I was lucky, a biscuit before going to bed. :smile:

I am proud of my Yorkshire roots . Barnsley, as it appens...

Hi!
Barnsley is a semi-autonomous enclave of Yorkshire, with a distinctive separate heritage and language. Even the people of Goldthorpe have difficulty understanding what Barnsley folk say.
Eesezeeizburreeint = He has stated that he is; however, he is not.
Ayelekkin?= Are you coming out to play?
Avyegorrit? = Do you have it?
Ampurrinthecoilon = I am loading the fire with fuel.
Lerrusgerrusimbux = We shall collect our hymnals

Bigcol i actually got a couple of those.

We tend to miss the letter H off the front of words and no this isn't me :lol:

If you are drinking something empty your mouth before watching this, your keyboard, screen, tablet or phone will appreciate it.

[ame]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EWdey5SNTic[/ame]

Back