Dinner or Tea? [poll]

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

When do you have dinner?

• Dinner time is midday we don't do lunch.

• Dinner time is later in the day we have lunch.

Results are only viewable after voting.
I have a mate from kent if i text him at tea time he will text back catch you later i am preparing dinner, to which i will reply wtf have you only just got out of bed :laugh8:

Dinner parties...that's posh for having your tea round somebody's house.
As for people who have "dinner" at tea time...is the dinner a meat and two veg job with gravy...coz that's what a dinner is? Or can your dinner be beans on toast?

Well I'm just finished my breakfast before going to work then 10am tea time, 1pm lunch time, 4pm tea time, 7pm home time, 7.30pm tea time, 11pm bedtime. Looks like I've got plenty of time in a day.

I agree and being from the North its breakfast, dinner, tea and supper but I also take a lunch box to work.:confused.:
That was definitely my childhood experience too... though now I've spent the majority of my life in Scotland it's:

Breakfast.... lunch and tea time.

But if we are going out in an evening then it's for dinner... (I really really miss going out for dinner 🙁)

Anna

Ha ha, this thread made me laugh. I live in Essex and was born and brought up in London and have had this “discussion” with our friends from Lincolnshire on a number of occasions (usually after a few pints).
The other one we regularly have, which could probably warrant a similar and just as assuming thread here, is regarding baps, bread rolls etc 😂

The other one we regularly have, which could probably warrant a similar and just as assuming thread here, is regarding baps, bread rolls etc 😂

Please don't go there again, things got really nasty the last time that was debated on here. They were sweeping up eyeballs for days afterwards. It made Brexit look like a Sunday school picnic. :laugh8:

I don't think this has been posted - Yougov did a survey that clearly shows the regional differences (although didn't allow for a "supper" option) - it's interesting how Nottinghamshire is "southern" in this regard compared to Derbys and Lincs :
1610965585111.png

Also they found that dinner vs tea is no longer about class, at least not in the south, it's a bit of a factor up north :
1610966089525.png

Overall they found 57% call it dinner, 36% tea and 5% supper.

Last edited:
Barm cakes!

As we all know the foam at the top of a fermenting vessel is called barm

I have a theory that a barm cake was so named because bakers would use it to make small bread rolls

Hence, as brewers we should call them barm cakes

I don't think this has been posted - Yougov did a survey that clearly shows the regional differences (although didn't allow for a "supper" option) - it's interesting how Nottinghamshire is "southern" in this regard compared to Derbys and Lincs :

Also they found that dinner vs tea is no longer about class, at least not in the south, it's a bit of a factor up nort
Overall they found 57% call it dinner, 36% tea and 5% supper.
Notable that Scotland isn't included here on either the tea/dinner roll/bun/et al maps:

Morning rolls : Central belt and especially Glasgow, soft with a dark (to me looks over done) crispy crust
Breakfast roll /Rowie /Buttery : Your day's calorie and fat portion all in one. Despite living in Aberdeen for five years, I never saw the attraction.
Softie / Bap : floured soft roll: Softie in the highlands, Bap for the lowlands.

There's also 'High tea' as an evening meal in Scotland, your meal served with a pot of tea, followed by buttered bread and biscuits.

Anna

Notable that Scotland isn't included here on either the tea/dinner roll/bun/et al maps:

Morning rolls : Central belt and especially Glasgow, soft with a dark (to me looks over done) crispy crust
Breakfast roll /Rowie /Buttery : Your day's calorie and fat portion all in one. Despite living in Aberdeen for five years, I never saw the attraction.
Softie / Bap : floured soft roll: Softie in the highlands, Bap for the lowlands.

There's also 'High tea' as an evening meal in Scotland, your meal served with a pot of tea, followed by buttered bread and biscuits.

Anna
a spectacular version is the 'well fired' mcghees/morton's morning roll. i once asked for 6 of those burnt rolls in a bakery. didn't go down too well. they use rice cones to get that unique top texture.
the PM meal is tea for me and for most of those in the west of scotland.

Breakfast is first thing in the morning.
Luncheon is about 11am.
Afternoon tea about 3pm.
Dinner around 7-8pm.
Supper at 11pm if your still hungry.

What's not clear.

Back