Quantcast

Dinner or Tea? [poll]

Help Support The HomeBrew Forum:

When do you have dinner?

• Dinner time is midday we don't do lunch.

• Dinner time is later in the day we have lunch.

Results are only viewable after voting.

DavidDetroit

Landlord.
Reaction score
That's a bummer getting just the leftovers. But there's always turkey sandwiches, which I liked the most about the holiday dinners anyway.
Both grandparents barely spoke English so I wouldn't call them standard Canadians. Visits were pretty much a European setting which included, of course, the early dinner. This was decades ago, so no craft beer, just Molson Golden and a few other Canadian brews.

Chippy_Tea

Administrator.
Administrator
Reaction score
so what is 'High Tea' then ?
You should ask your Hyacinth shes bound to know. :laugh8:

Why is it called 'high tea'?

A possible explanation why this type of meal was called high tea is the fact that it was eaten at a table. In comparison, Afternoon Tea was taken whilst seating in low, comfortable chairs or sofas. Of course, soon after, the upper classes developed their own variation and also called it 'high tea'. It was a meal that could be eaten when their servants were away or not available, as it was so easy to prepare. The upper class 'high tea' involved the amalgamation of Afternoon Tea and high tea, with the addition of pigeon, veal, salmon and fruit.

https://afternoontea.co.uk/information/what-is-high-tea/

Last edited:

obscure

Perpetually Confused
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Lunch is always lunch, but I use dinner and tea interchangeably but always to refer to an evening meal never to lunch.

The-Engineer-That-Brews

Regular.
Supporting Member
Reaction score
They fall in to the category of words I may have used in the past to confuse my Parisian colleagues when they started wittering on about us not correctly using 'Le Subjonctif'. I always found it made them satisfyingly uncomfortable to know that we had words where "the rules" adjust according to circumstances and who you're talking to athumb..

UKSkydiver

Regular.
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I'm still from Brummagem.

Breakfast, dinner, tea.

However, now I've shacked up with SWMBO in Oxfordshire, and she's posher than wot I is, I've started calling it lunch and dinner.

Still, you can't get away from the fact that you have dinner ladies (or dinner people I guess now, being PC and all that) and not lunch ladies (or people)

Reminds me of Life of Brian. (If someone can be arsed to post a link)

Anyway, I digress . . .

obscure

Perpetually Confused
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Do the members here who voted that the mid day meal is called lunch have Sunday roast dinner?

Nope it would remain a Sunday lunch, although tend to have a roast on a Sunday in the evening rather than at lunch time so Roast dinner can still be used.

MmmBeer

Reaction score
It's Breakfast, Lunch and Dinner.

I remember talk of tea and supper in the less enlightened days of the 1970's, but now two small meals at 5 and 9 o'clock have been correctly amalgamated into one big blowout at 7.

I have often dropped to two meals a day during weekends, brunch and dinner, but obviously there are other possibilities, such as a Meal between breakfast and brunch

Cwrw666

Landlord.
Reaction score
We call the noon-time meal lunch and the 5 o'clock meal tea irrespective of what we're eating. There again, lunch is often the first meal of the day so technically it's actually breakfast (the only meal of the day it's impossible to skip!)

I was brought up with breakfast, dinner, tea and supper though, but that's the working class of the '50s for you, at least in North Yorkshire.

Clint

Hammered.....
Reaction score
Can you have a "roast lunch" or Christmas lunch...
Ha! If I write "Christmas" followed by "l" the phone predicts "lights",if I use a "d" it predicts "dinner".