DIPA?

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

stpete

Reaction score
So, I wanted to get the Love Brewing, Founders double ipa, I brewed it before Xmas and loved it but in these trying times to keep staff safe and catch up they can't take orders. I looked again at the contents of the kit and wondered if a sort of clone could be cobbled together? It has 3kg of IPA malt and 3kg of Lager malt plus 180 grams of dry hops, 90 grams summit and 90 grams citra.
I wondered if a Simply IPA kit plus a Simply Lager kit and 1.2 kg of LME plus dry hops of choice. I get that the weights are less but is this worth a go, can anyone spot a problem, should I use sugar to replace the LME for a dryer finish? Just your thoughts would be helpful. Thanks

Ran that through brewer's friend, and it comes out at 6.38% if brewed to 20L. Is this around what you are aiming for?

If you did what you say you will definitely get beer, but not sure it will be exactly a DIPA. Could be a nice experiment, I do love doing stuff like this.

You might want to do a boil with the DME and add some hops at 60/30 mins to up your IBUs, and maybe add some at the end of the boil as aroma hops too.

If you want more abv I'd use brewing sugar as it could get very cloying if you add too much DME to all that LME. I'd maybe consider lowering the DME anyway, and replace with brewing sugar.

Brilliant, thanks. The original is 7.2% I believe, so 20 litres at 6.4 is good for me. I was looking for something hoppy and strong but light and pale. This with brew enhancer, 50/50 dme sugar might be just the thing! Now just gotta find someone with stock. 😂

Latest posts

Back