Directors - Quick question

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Fruitloopy

Reaction score
Hi All

I don't want to mess up another brew so I have a quick question about the Directors kit I am working on.
The instructions tell me to siphon off the first fermentation into another FV along with the sugar for 3 days. I left in in the second FV for 5 days as I have been guilty of being impatient before. I have tested it and it's almost clear, nice taste and some carbonation.
The question is, now that I have siphoned this into my PB should I add any more sugar? Should I blast some Co2 in there to get rid of the oxygen? Should I leave it in the warm or keep it cool now?

Thanks

I have to be honest that seems a pretty weird instruction to the point that I was assuming you had misread but looked it up and it is indeed in the instructions for this kit.

https://www.muntons.com/wp-content/...age-Directors-instruction-leaflet-updated.pdf
I’m still not sure of the logic of this (and am still wondering if it should’t be add sugar bottle and move to a warm place for three days before moving somewhere cool to condition) but generally if you left the beer in a warm place for three days you would need to add priming sugar (generally this is added just before bottling) as it would have being used up by the yeast.

Edit: Hopefully someone who has done this particular kit can confirm as this just seems a really odd instruction to me.

They have an FAQ on there site that mentions the two stage fermentation - Homebrew FAQ - Muntons - second from last question:

Q. IN YOUR BREWING ADVICE AND TIPS YOU RECOMMEND TWO STAGE FERMENTATION. HOW DOES THIS IMPROVE THINGS?
A. The use of a secondary fermenter with an air lock provides two benefits to your brewing. Firstly transferring your beer from the primary fermenter after the initial vigorous fermentation removes a large quantity of the dead yeast cells. Secondly, the fermentation conditions, under air lock, ensure that no airborne bacteria can enter your fermenting wort. The carbon dioxide layer covering your wort, produced by the yeast during fermentation, helps to protect the wort from airborne bacteria. Without an airlock and closed fermenter it is possible to disturb this layer and allow bacteria through. The secondary fermenter therefore provides a safe haven for your wort prior to transferring to your bottles or barrel. This ideal condition means if you wish you may clarify your beer and remove virtually all of the yeast cells prior to transferring to your bottles or barrel.

My concern is that now that most of the sugar has been used up is there going to be any more Co2 produced so it doesn't come out flat? I don't know whether to add some more, add some Co2 now or just leave it and hope for the best

I asked Murtons the question
his is the reply from Muntons
Thank you for your email. When you transfer to your secondary fermenter add sugar as advised in the instructions, leave for 3 days; you can then bottle as normal using either one carbonation drop or ½ tsp of sugar to the bottle.

I did this kit 4 months back, i never added the sugar because it just didn’t seem right. I just used one carb drop per bottle. It’s a lovely pint btw, leave as long as possible, it definitely gets better over time. I had the last bottle last week and as usual it was the best one 🙄

I brew mine exactly as I do all other kits.

Just a heads up, if you want any more, order now as B2B say they are to be discontinued.

I asked Murtons the question
his is the reply from Muntons
Thank you for your email. When you transfer to your secondary fermenter add sugar as advised in the instructions, leave for 3 days; you can then bottle as normal using either one carbonation drop or ½ tsp of sugar to the bottle.
This is interesting. I brewed this kit according to the instructions. I assumed that this was a form of batch priming and bottled after the three days with no further priming sugar. No wonder I was disappointed with the carbonation! Nice beer though, perhaps I'll give it another go.

I have brewed this beer about 10 times now, its a shame Muntons have discontinued it, I have always gone from the FV to Bottle with a level T/S of brewing sugar per 500ml and never had a problem. I don't like my beers to over carbed, so this is just right for me. The longer Directors is left in the bottle though the better IMHO

I've got a Directors kit waiting to go. I did the Courage Best recently and it's not bad. Shame if they are being discontinued - Both beers feature strongly in my history and a good pint of Directors was up there with the best.

Edit to add. The Best kit has vanished but B2B have some Directors stock left - I just ordered one along with a Muntons IPA kit which should see me ok over Christmas - especially as I'm working most of it!

Last edited:
I put the Directors on today. Came in at 1042. Interestingly there is. sachet of hop powder which goes in at the start and the instructions suggest a short initial fermentation of 4-6 days, three days of secondary and priming as normal. I'll see what the gravity is after 6 days in the brew fridge and take it from there.

I bottled my Diectors last night. It had 7 days primary, then dropped to a clean FV with 100g of sugar for 4 days. Crash cooled for 2 days then dropped to another bucket from which bottled (100g batch priming) comes out at 4.1% which is down on the proprietary product, though I realise I didn't take another reading at the end of secondary so my estimate may be a bit out. I don't really mind as long as it tastes ok.

Latest posts

Back