(Dis)colouration

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Wynott

Regular.
Reaction score
I have recently had two occasions with country wines changing colour while in the DJ (after fermenting out). The Carrot went from light orange to quite dark, and now the Celery is moving from a golden colour to more orangey. I have kept them well sealed with rubber bungs.

They have both been stored at the back of the garage, which is the coolest and darkest place I can find (excepting under the stairs, which is full of er....stuff)

I did read in Berry that 'white' wines could be lightened with 2 tbsp powdered milk. Has anyone tried this?

Grateful for any input.

I have only checked them (by removing the bung for a few seconds) very infrequently. The carrot, in particular, hasn't been touched for at least 6 months.
I wondered if it is anything to do with the higher temperatures?

Hi Wynott.

A two second "de-bunging" will do no harm at all.

Yeast can metabolize colouring pigments in wine when they run out of sugar.
Personally I would not "lighten" with milk powder.

A lot of country wines turn out tawny. You are doing the right thing,Keep them cool and in the dark.

Thanks for the explanation, John. I will focus on the taste, and try not to get sidetracked too much by appearance.

it’s an interesting journey, I sometimes make two batches of a wine from different recipes and they vary quite a lot. I made two lots of dandelion this year, the one with 8 pints of heads clears well, the one with 6 pints of petals is still quite cloudy. Just drinking last year‘s and rather like it.

Hi Wynott.

A two second "de-bunging" will do no harm at all.

Yeast can metabolize colouring pigments in wine when they run out of sugar.
Personally I would not "lighten" with milk powder.

A lot of country wines turn out tawny. You are doing the right thing,Keep them cool and in the dark.
I just racked the carrot wine, and the colour has lightened somewhat. The sediment was very dark, no idea what it was, but it's gone! I put the celery under the stairs, and it's kept a good colour fx

Latest posts

Back