Disappointing blueberry

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

gillonstewart

Reaction score
As an easy reintroduction into wine making, I made a 23litre blueberry wine kit. The box wasn't branded as such but had garffen.co.uk under the barcode.

I actually thought I stopped it a little early as it was a little too sweet tasting. I can't remember offhand the hydrometer reading but it was in the bottling range and I thought it would make a pleasant chilled daytime wine for the summer and I had everything out already so went for it anyway.(plus I needed the fermentation bucket that I racked into to start cider in)

I racked off the lees into the bucket (thoroughly sterilised) and thoroughly de-gassed with a drill attachment. Then I put it back into the FV (washed and re-sterilised) and fined.

It sat for a week or so while I gathered up bottles and I bottled it last night.

Despite looking crystal clear in the FV and Syphon tube when I looked at the bottles it was actually still quite turbid. When I tasted it, it was watery with a faintly fruity flavour (like those horrible volvic touch of fruit bottled waters) and that slightly nasty flavour I remember most kit wines having when they haven't sat for a couple of months.

Highly disappointing to be honest. I'll leave the bottles stored for a few months and see if they clear or develop into something vaguely tasty. I should have syphoned off a test bottle first but I'm eager to get some gorse and dandelion wines on and I just got 400 sheep delivered yesterday from up the glen, which are going to have to go into the field with all the dandelions so just went for it.

Last edited by a moderator:
My first attempt with blueberry hasn't been great so far. Medicinal taste. Leaving it for a while, but don't hold out much hope. It is only a small batch, maybe I'll try to use more fruit next time.

Latest posts

Back