Disappointing hop flavour/aroma

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I appreciate the replies. Most things mentioned are broadly what I do in my process. One thing I never have considered for flavouring is first wort hops. Has anyone else increased their hop impact by doing this?

I have recently been using kviek at relatively high temperature. Perhaps that temp is just killing aroma/flavour from dry hops. I was under the impression that it was good practice to dry hop just before attenuation is complete, for oxygen reasons ... hence dry hopping while still at high temperature.

Next batch I will cold crash before adding dry hops. I’m determined to get there eventually

I dry hopped once at 30c with a Kveik. Never again. I dry hop at 18c for a day then begin to crash cool.

I appreciate the replies. Most things mentioned are broadly what I do in my process. One thing I never have considered for flavouring is first wort hops. Has anyone else increased their hop impact by doing this?

it doesnt add hoppiness per se but it does smooth the bitterness right out.

I dry hopped once at 30c with a Kveik. Never again. I dry hop at 18c for a day then begin to crash cool.
Out of interest - do you now ferment Kveik at 18c or have you dropped Kveik it in favour of a different yeast?

I've also been using 1056 at a higher than normal temperature as fermenting under pressure (and dry hopping in the mid twenties) - giving me similar underwhelming hoppy results. Think I might be answering my own question.

Out of interest - do you now ferment Kveik at 18c or have you dropped Kveik it in favour of a different yeast?

I've also been using 1056 at a higher than normal temperature as fermenting under pressure (and dry hopping in the mid twenties) - giving me similar underwhelming hoppy results. Think I might be answering my own question.

If I'm using Kveik I get the fermentation done before I dry hop. I drop down to a cooler temp before the hops go in. Dry hopping warm gave me terrible results. Very little flavour or aroma. Surprised me actually.

for the record... I subsequently fermented my next batch with Kveik at 32c then dropped to 14c before dry hopping for 48 hours. Kegged this morning and it is way more pungent (in a good way) that all my other recent brews. Many thanks for the suggestions...I'm really encouraged by this!

I have recently been using kviek at relatively high temperature. Perhaps that temp is just killing aroma/flavour from dry hops. I was under the impression that it was good practice to dry hop just before attenuation is complete, for oxygen reasons ... hence dry hopping while still at high temperature.

Next batch I will cold crash before adding dry hops. I’m determined to get there eventually
I have never noticed a difference in flavour from first wort hopping, but I did find it stopped boil over, which I used to have terrible trouble with when I first started brewing.

Back