Disaster!

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MonkeyMick

Reaction score
I've gone to clean and sterilise the bottles from the garage - following advice on another thread and found that the flooding/high water table in South Yorkshire has caused the swing tops to go rusty even though the garage itself didn't flood.

Ive stripped the swing tops from the bottles, and am soaking both the bottles and swing tops in separate oxy baths overnight to remove the rust/crud before rinsing and sanitising the bottles with Star San and boiling the swing tops..

If I'm not happy with the results I'll get rid and replace - I have a bag of spare swing tops I can use, and don't foresee a problem with the glass bottles.

Lesson learned I think - ill be using plastic storage boxes with cheap moisture absorbers in future, rather than cardboard boxes...

That's annoying.

Could always remove the swing tops, bag 'em and keep them indoors. Cardboard doesn't like outdoors anyway so you at least need crates or tubs strong enough for full bottles.

One thing I found really annoying about the Range swing bottles is that you cannot close the box lid with them fitted !

I think spare swing tops are available if they are too far gone. Try citric acid soak overnight if you still have rust marks. It will just wipe off the next morning.

That's annoying.

Could always remove the swing tops, bag 'em and keep them indoors. Cardboard doesn't like outdoors anyway so you at least need crates or tubs strong enough for full bottles.

One thing I found really annoying about the Range swing bottles is that you cannot close the box lid with them fitted !

I think spare swing tops are available if they are too far gone. Try citric acid soak overnight if you still have rust marks. It will just wipe off the next morning.
Yeah I've found that annoying with boxes of swing tops and it's not just the ones from the range. I guess it's just a case of the manufacturers trying to use the minimum box size and making sure they stack securely.

Latest posts

Back