Disgusting scenes in Washington

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Yes. And the other way 'round. And in places other than the good ol' US of A, which seems to have disporoprtionate amont of discussion about it and its goings-on compared to anywhere else.

I think it (again!) goes down to the media, their desire to make money from news, and various people's proclivities in accepting the various stories. We'd all (or mostly!) I'm sure prefer people to look at actual facts, but it ain't happening, the media os polarised (the "Daily Express" and the "Independent" (sic) for instance are identical but opposite) and things seem to be getting even worse. Gah!

It's neccessary to read reports from various sources, and take an average, generally.

Brother lives in San Fan, he says the media is mostly CNN or Fox, both oh which are just as bad as each otehr in polorising and gviing you their edited cut of what goes on in the world. It does make you wonder.

But I say the same about the Daily Mail and the Guardian. Both portray their single narrative and a narrow point of view, depending on where your views lie they may conform or not.

To be honest I have little interest in what goes on in the USA political system as I have said many times if Trump, Clinton and now Biden are the best people they could find to run their country they deserve all they get.
Biden was chosen because only an old straight white man would have been able to pull enough floating voters away from Trump. Harris will have taken over before the end of Biden’s term IMO.

Buttigieg or Gabbard were the best candidates IMO but both were too young and experienced (and in Buttigieg’s case not straight enough and in Gabbard’s case not white or male enough) to run in such an important election and probably still will be in 2024.

Last edited:
Brother lives in San Fan, he says the media is mostly CNN or Fox, both oh which are just as bad as each otehr in polorising and gviing you their edited cut of what goes on in the world. It does make you wonder.

But I say the same about the Daily Mail and the Guardian. Both portray their single narrative and a narrow point of view, depending on where your views lie they may conform or not.

If I remember correctly, US news networks are nowhere as heavily regulated as news is in the UK, hence Fox so aggressively supporting Trump. Though now Paul Dacre is head of OFCOM (arguably a political appointment as a reward for services to the Tory party whilst Editor at the Daily Mail), I can see this becoming a problem.

As for the Daily Mail and The Guardian, newspapers in the UK are allowed to express the views of the owners. Strangely, The Daily Express is now owned by the company that owns The Daily Mirror.

The Guardian and The Observer are fairly well respected newspapers, but the accuracy of reporting in The Daily Mail and it's online gateway drug for young women, Mail Online, is so bad Wikipedia has banned its use as a source. I think we can all draw our own conclusions about that.

And now we learn a police officer was killed by Trump's terrorists, this is not an issue of reporting as Trump's apologists on here state it's about civil riot to change a fair election result. We all know about the Mail, Express etc but they are not relevant here and those posts should be removed.

This is one of the most entertaining YouTube videos I’ve seen in ages. I’m genuinely worried about this guy’s mental health

'Q Sent me'

q.jpg

Is anyone else concerned that postal votes should be banned, I read that on democrats in particularly postal vote where as high as 60%. Do not know if that is true or not

If I remember correctly, US news networks are nowhere as heavily regulated as news is in the UK, hence Fox so aggressively supporting Trump. Though now Paul Dacre is head of OFCOM (arguably a political appointment as a reward for services to the Tory party whilst Editor at the Daily Mail), I can see this becoming a problem.

As for the Daily Mail and The Guardian, newspapers in the UK are allowed to express the views of the owners. Strangely, The Daily Express is now owned by the company that owns The Daily Mirror.

The Guardian and The Observer are fairly well respected newspapers, but the accuracy of reporting in The Daily Mail and it's online gateway drug for young women, Mail Online, is so bad Wikipedia has banned its use as a source. I think we can all draw our own conclusions about that.
Comments re Paul Dacre, that is unsubstantiated, you might be right but might be wrong....you are suggesting cronyism?

I do not believe the Guardian is a respected paper, it is the left equivalent of the Daily Mail. To be honest I do not read the papers anymore, they are full of tripe, there is very little honest reporting in them. Same with the news channels on the tv, sensationalising the news as entertainment.

Is anyone else concerned that postal votes should be banned, I read that on democrats in particularly postal vote where as high as 60%. Do not know if that is true or not
The postal votes issue came about from 2 separate bits of action that were then pulled together by Trump as “evidence” of foul play:
  • Legislation brought in by the Republicans meant that postal votes in most states could only be counted after all in-person votes were counted
  • Democrats were telling people to vote by post because it’s safer in the pandemic, whereas Trump was telling everyone to vote in person because COVID 19 was nothing to worry about.
  • When the in-person votes were counted, it looked like Trump was on course to win in a number of states and this was then reversed significantly when the postal votes were counted because the Dems were the side telling people to vote by post for their own safety
  • Trump calls foul play because the postal votes were so stacked in favour of the Dems

And now we learn a police officer was killed by Trump's terrorists, this is not an issue of reporting as Trump's apologists on here state it's about civil riot to change a fair election result. We all know about the Mail, Express etc but they are not relevant here and those posts should be removed.
Trumps terrorist, terrorists? protesters are not terrorists, not even rioters, violent protest by some, bit like those on the streets of London.. in 2012?
https://www.reuters.com/article/us-...lly-idUSTRE72P0YN20110326?edition-redirect=uk

Banning postal votes because the majority of supporters of a particular party voted in that way doesn't seem particularly democratic, does it?

What if you or a member of your family were housebound or unable to get to a polling station because of working long hours or being out of the country at the time of an election? Wouldn't you value a postal vote? What if you or a member of your family wanted to vote in the middle of a pandemic, but were sensible enough to use a postal vote instead of visiting a polling station where there are lots of other people? Should you lose your vote then?

We're very fortunate in the UK that voter fraud is so low that it's not really an issue, but I can see in the future that with what seems to be the rise of a new far right watching and learning from Trump and his supporters coupled there will be baseless claims of voter fraud here.

I do not believe the Guardian is a respected paper,
It kind of is tbh. It's journalism, while left wing, is of a very high standard. It's coverage of the last election in the Republic of Ireland was superb.
Postal votes are quite old in the US. The Union Army voted by post during the US civil war. Some states, such as Washington State, vote entirely by post. There was no evidence of fraud in the US election.
Trumps terrorist, terrorists? protesters are not terrorists, not even rioters, violent protest by some, bit like those on the streets of London.. in 2012?
I agree with you here, they were not terrorists but neither were they protesters. This was an insurrection against a lawfully elected government. Breaking into the home of US democracy and trying to stop the lawful election of a president is something you expect to see in Latin America.

The riots aren’t the biggest problem.
The voter fraud (much of it on video) will never be investigated.
Now the Democrats control all of the government, and America is now a one party state. If they decide to expand (re-instate balance, they’ll call it) the Supreme Court, then the Dems will be “The Party” of the USA. There will be no other.
You can hate Trump and his supporters all you want, but what the Democrats did to win was unconscionable.
Trump has LOST over 50 voter fraud court appeals so far including the supreme court the highest court in the US which is very republican leaning. To date, 2 months after the election, he has failed to provide any creditable evidence. He is working on the principle if you keep repeating the same untruth enough a lot of people will believe it.

Banning postal votes because the majority of supporters of a particular party voted in that way doesn't seem particularly democratic, does it?

What if you or a member of your family were housebound or unable to get to a polling station because of working long hours or being out of the country at the time of an election? Wouldn't you value a postal vote? What if you or a member of your family wanted to vote in the middle of a pandemic, but were sensible enough to use a postal vote instead of visiting a polling station where there are lots of other people? Should you lose your vote then?

We're very fortunate in the UK that voter fraud is so low that it's not really an issue, but I can see in the future that with what seems to be the rise of a new far right watching and learning from Trump and his supporters coupled there will be baseless claims of voter fraud here.

I agree with your first statement I am suggestion postal vote does involve fraud and there is no room for any fraud voting in a democracy. Anyway it is a fact democrats pushed postal voting heavily

I appreciate the examples I understand that, the trouble is evidence of identity in postal votes. In the town I live there is evidence of a man in an extended family filling in all the votes for his family rather than them making the vote themselves. I believe in some community sectors that is not rare. In the past int the UK it has not been illegal for candidates to collect postal votes rather than the returning officer. In the town I live the last local district elections you had to take id and there were not postal votes allowed. Unless there is some id requirement on postal votes I do not believe they are secure enough to be used in their present form.

In the UK I think we are beginning to learn than postal votes need to be more secure to the individual. In the US I am not sure they have because there are so many being used in the last election. No idea but if apparently 100Million+ voted by post and by post if 1% of those is fraudulent given how close the election was in some states, could that make a difference? I am not a fan of trump but I am fan of democracy

I think Trump cynically discouraged Republicans from postal voting because he knew he would get an early lead. This was deliberate so that when he lost the lead as postal votes were counted, he could claim fraud. He telegraphed this plan throughout his term

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back