Disposing of old chemicals?

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

keithada27

Reaction score
Having just started brewing again after a long break, I have discovered a whole pile of chemicals with use by dates mostly around 2012. I'm presuming these will be no use now but how do I get rid of them, are any special measures necessary. Thanks for any and all replies.

Keith.

What have you got and how have they been stored. They may well be ok, particularly if they're salts for water-chemstry adjustment.

Some stuff lasts longer than you might think. Campden tablets can last years.

All the Best,
D. White

Powdered stuff, if kept in an airtight container, is unlikely to go off. Even liquids are pretty stable if kept out of the light. I would ignore the best before dates.

Hi and thanks for all the advice. I have 2 x 17g of pectolase both use by 17/06/12, 2 x 50g yeast nutrient use by 04/10/09 & 05/08/12, 2 x 100g steriliser and cleaners with no use by date and 100 campden tablets use by 05/02/12, half a dozen sealed wine yeast sachets and a little sealed plastic sachet of Potassium Sorbate. Do you think any of that little lot would still be usable, I foresee savings. Hopefully.

Ta...….Keith

Hi and thanks for all the advice. I have 2 x 17g of pectolase both use by 17/06/12, 2 x 50g yeast nutrient use by 04/10/09 & 05/08/12, 2 x 100g steriliser and cleaners with no use by date and 100 campden tablets use by 05/02/12, half a dozen sealed wine yeast sachets and a little sealed plastic sachet of Potassium Sorbate. Do you think any of that little lot would still be usable, I foresee savings. Hopefully.

Ta...….Keith
The nutrient will be fine. Don't know about the enzyme- it might degrade over time. The sorbate should be fine. Try the yeast, if one takes in 24-48 hours then they should all be fine if they're of similar provenance. The cleaners and stterilizers and the campden tablets should be ok if they've been stored properly. If the cleaners are all caked together in a mass then chuck them, but frankly, I wouldn't take the risk with this last lot. They're not expensive to replace with new materials you can trust.

I think An Ankou has about nailed it.
The only things to worry about are the yeast and maybe the enzyime based products,The rest will be fine.

Latest posts

Back