DIY Keg Washer

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Branny

Beer swillin, pie munchin, fat mon
Reaction score
Hi All,

I'm intending to DIY a Keg Washer which will also be used for the Fermzilla too.

After watching some (mainly US) videos and searching on here I think I've got the correct parts in the attached picture. Is this right? I have an old fermenter bucket that I'll house it in.

I'm hoping to be able to use the Fermzilla stand to hold the kegs and Fermzilla but if not I'll use the excess pipe along with tee pieces to cobble a support system.

Any advice would be hugely appreciated.

Thanks

Attachments

• Screenshot_2022-06-30-12-41-19-546_org.adblockplus.browser.jpg
    Screenshot_2022-06-30-12-41-19-546_org.adblockplus.browser.jpg
    24.7 KB · Views: 9
Last edited:
The compression and the solvent weld waste pipes aren't the same diameter, don't ask me why.
I would reduce the output of the pump to 22mm, and go from there with conventional water fittings.

Depending on what components you already have around you to build one it might be more convenient and cheaper to just buy one of the kits out there. Last time I looked they retailed for about £80 and when I totted up all the parts and components needed to build one from scratch it was around a similar amount so thought I'd just save the hassle of building one and would buy one if I decided I wanted/needed one.

£80 for parts? Is it made of gold? Mine has a cip ball, and ball lock disconnects, and the only thing I had at home, some pipework, it was £40 tops, including the pump.

Well it included a bucket, stainless steel stand, pump, an a few other items. Guess it all depends on what pump you're using. You're generally looking at least £40 - £60 for a decent pump to kick off with.

I used a suitable length of straight copper pipe, made sure that it would fit into the chuck of my drill and hammered it flat at one end.

I then hacksawed a notch and drilled a couple of holes in the flat bit so that I could install some flexible ties. The short ties faced upwards (to clean the cone) and down (to clean the bottom) whereas the long ties (to clean the sides) exceeded the diameter of the kegs!

All of the above fitted through the 1½” access hole and also fitted in the drill.

It takes about 5 minutes and a quart of water to clean a keg, a pint of water to rinse the keg and then 20 squirts of Star-San to sanitise. This means that the keg can be stored for a couple of weeks before use.

Total Cost = £0 (‘Cos I already had everything kicking around the shed!)

Enjoy!
:hat:

I used a suitable length of straight copper pipe, made sure that it would fit into the chuck of my drill and hammered it flat at one end.

I then hacksawed a notch and drilled a couple of holes in the flat bit so that I could install some flexible ties. The short ties faced upwards (to clean the cone) and down (to clean the bottom) whereas the long ties (to clean the sides) exceeded the diameter of the kegs!

All of the above fitted through the 1½” access hole and also fitted in the drill.

It takes about 5 minutes and a quart of water to clean a keg, a pint of water to rinse the keg and then 20 squirts of Star-San to sanitise. This means that the keg can be stored for a couple of weeks before use.

Total Cost = £0 (‘Cos I already had everything kicking around the shed!)

Enjoy!
:hat:
Screaming out for a photo this

Thanks. What sort of litres per hour should I aim for, please?

Thanks. What sort of litres per hour should I aim for, please?
The listing of mine has been removed from Amazon for some reason, it's about 400watts. I think you can get away anything a bit better than a pond, or aquarium pump. I'll make a photo once I finished washing my keg.

The listing of mine has been removed from Amazon for some reason, it's about 400watts. I think you can get away anything a bit better than a pond, or aquarium pump. I'll make a photo once I finished washing my keg.
9m³/hour mine, just checked.

Attachments

• IMG_20220702_165628.jpg
    IMG_20220702_165628.jpg
    28.1 KB · Views: 0
  • IMG_20220702_165530.jpg
    IMG_20220702_165530.jpg
    29.5 KB · Views: 0
  • IMG_20220702_165726.jpg
    IMG_20220702_165726.jpg
    23.1 KB · Views: 0
  • IMG_20220702_165706.jpg