DIY neoprene brew kettle cover

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

DocAnna

Scottish Brewster
Supporting Member
Reaction score
My Klarstein system is genuinely lovely but he lacks a bit of oomph when it comes to a rolling boil with larger volumes. This is despite the 3.3KW power. So I decided I wanted to insulate it similar to the jacket in the Brewzilla.

I purchased a 2m roll of 8mm thick neoprene, any thicker would have caused problems with the mounting of the control box.

3E60EA74-FDE2-41DE-8D26-6F842B782370.jpeg

First step was to make a template, I used some spare left over wall paper from my office and by feeling edges and marking, was able to cover it as below. I have to admit I half thought of leaving it like this, there’s a niche market here for patterned brew kettle covers!

1C100992-E4B0-4F61-A65E-13B3F74F6EC1.jpeg

Template taken off and laid out on the neoprene. I didn’t follow the template exactly as I’d cut the slot for the fluid gauge a little too wide, so compensated for that, and used a mini jar lid to draw one of the circles. I used a craft knife and scissors to cut it out as shown.
CD58C3BE-279B-4B95-98AC-66EAEE3378BF.jpeg

E0031329-5C1B-49F0-AE21-5922C951EA29.jpeg

I was super chuffed it fitted perfectly first time. I still need to attach some Velcro but in the meantime have secured the edges with double sided carpet tape.

I think he looks rather handsome now, and hopefully a fair bit more efficient!

D1EAA416-5BC0-4BC7-ACA5-70BAC6388B1B.jpeg
47BEFC87-6981-425C-BBBD-2FB6EB04BA53.jpeg

Where did you get the neoprene from Anna? I had a quick look on Amazon after your initial post on the topic...

I've been thinking of doing this myself. I'd be interested to know if it makes much of a difference to your bol.

I've been thinking of doing this myself. I'd be interested to know if it makes much of a difference to your bol.
After I put one on my grainfather (g30), I could turn the boil power down to about 75%-80% and still achieve the same boil vigor.

The cover I used to have for my Brewzilla had a fabric outer layer, whereas the neoprene foam that Anna used does not appear to have, so I wonder how durable it will be. I made an insulating jacket for my G40 from a double layer of insulation roll - the stuff that looks like metallised bubble wrap, held with velcro. It works well - when boiling the outside is only slightly warm to the touch. The insulation roll is quite expensive but Aldi sometimes have it on special offer. I happened to have a part roll in the garage, so my solution cost me nothing.

Insulation.JPG

Last edited:
For my Swan urn I used an offcut from a roll of wooden floor underlay foam, also cut a circle for the lid. An old trouser belt keeps it in place. It has definately speeded up the time to reach a boil.

The cover I used to have for my Brewzilla had a fabric outer layer, whereas the neoprene foam that Anna used does not appear to have, so I wonder how durable it will be. I made an insulating jacket for my G40 from a double layer of insulation roll - the stuff that looks like metallised bubble wrap, held with velcro. It works well - when boiling the outside is only slightly warm to the touch. The insulation roll is quite expensive but Aldi sometimes have it on special offer. I happened to have a part roll in the garage, so mine solution cost me nothing.

View attachment 71124
I like the look of this and may consider it if the neoprene doesn't stand up to regular use. However, it really feels quite robust stuff, and at £22 for the roll I used, if it does a few years then I'd be happy at that. Sad to admit, and others won't be at all surprised to hear, there was an element here of appearance and 'elegance' in that I wanted the jacket to be stylish too. I know ok, it's in the garage, and a brew kettle, but I sort of have standards here 🤵‍♀️😁

You need some Gucci brewing slippers.
Dior is more my aspiration 😍 , I could add a pink binding trim and go full on 80's Chanel :eek:

I genuinely might add some stainless steel eyelets in a line and some black cord to join the edges together, that feels like justifiable adornment. A bit more Karen Millen in style to be a bit modern.

Dior is more my aspiration 😍 , I could add a pink binding trim and go full on 80's Chanel :eek:

I genuinely might add some stainless steel eyelets in a line and some black cord to join the edges together, that feels like justifiable adornment. A bit more Karen Millen in style to be a bit modern.
Or a zip...

I like the look of this and may consider it if the neoprene doesn't stand up to regular use. However, it really feels quite robust stuff, and at £22 for the roll I used, if it does a few years then I'd be happy at that. Sad to admit, and others won't be at all surprised to hear, there was an element here of appearance and 'elegance' in that I wanted the jacket to be stylish too. I know ok, it's in the garage, and a brew kettle, but I sort of have standards here 🤵‍♀️😁
Damn right and it looks fab!

I missed this post at the weekend. Nice one @DocAnna - looks great.

I've been thinking about doing the same for my 25L Klarstein Maischfest - should be a lot easier with there being no control box or fluid gauge to contend with. I might even look into thicker material.

Thanks for posting the link to the neoprene too! 👍

Quite right, too - standards are important! I think if GF ever bring out a smart neoprene jacket for the G40 I would buy it. In the meantime my solution is functional but it doesn't look as nice as yours!

Back